SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katmiller0

Help please with tv room/ living room

katmiller0
6 years ago

I would love input on what people think of these combination. We have this brown couch with gray walls (no curtains as of yet). You can also see living room so I would like the rooms to coordinte. What do you think? With red accents possibly? Any suggestions are welcome and needed!

Comments (25)

• amykath
    6 years ago

where would the new sofa go?

• amykath
    6 years ago

Can you show us some more pics to get an idea?

• Related Discussions

Need help with living/TV room arrangement

Q

Comments (1)
    You're on the right track, but switch the chair and the smaller couch in your diagram so that they form an L (with an end table at the corner, reading lamp) facing the TV and fireplace and encompassing both...
    ...See More

Tv wall / living room help - pics in comments

Q

Comments (21)
    The coffee table is cute, but very cottage, and the rest of your room is transitional. And your carpet is almost the same color as your couch. That is why it sticks out. If the carpet is staying for now, I would get an area rug for the room to give it a bit more style. You also need curtain panels for the windows.
    ...See More

Help Layout Living Room with Fireplace/ Windows/ Doors/ TV?

Q

Comments (4)
    hi, what type of furniture are you putting in the living room, please provide size of sofa, etc
    ...See More

Please Help me make dumping room into Tv room.

Q

Comments (6)
    I lived in a split level once with a similar space -- narrow and with doors leading to basement, garage, and outside, as well as steps leading up. We ended up with a very small TV area at one end and a desk/office area at the other. It worked. We even managed to fit in a small coat closet. Ptreckel is right.....I missed that what I thought was a shelf was actually the wall. So, that has to stay. But I suspect you have the TV at the right end of the room, as that appears to be the area with the fewest doors. After I commented earlier, I thought back to our split level and realized that there is only so much you can cram into that size of space. As mentioned above, how many do you need to seat? I suspect a very small sectional is all you can manage. Are they all teens? Could some great colorful floor cushions serve as overflow seating? Do you really need the pub table? Would you prefer to figure out a way to maximize storage, perhaps with an armoire sort of piece for some of the equipment, or just hooks on the wall and a storage bench beneath.
    ...See More
  • katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We already have the sofa, this is it in our room

• OldGrayMare
    6 years ago
    That’s a heckofalotta brown! Especially with the supersized coffee table and the chair/ottoman combo. Having said that, its a nice room and I like your sectional. Don’t take offense, but first question would be, can you return coffee table and chair/ottoman combo? If so, I would do that and get one or two smaller chairs that can help lighten up the room. If the chair/ottoman must stay, are you totally committed to the coffee table? The room needs some texture as well as “lighter” feeling...lighter as in opposite of heavy, not necessarily colors. I’m thinking a fat round basket type coffee table, or one with a glass top (or both!....basket with glass on top). Going to stop this comment now and re-look at your pics...is there art on the walls?
  • katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like your living room! No, nothing can be returned, we've had everything about 6 months, just getting around to thinking about decorating now. Its not as dark as it looks (its a really gloomy day so no light) but there is a lot of brown. That's why I'm thinking white linen drapes to lighten it and the lighter pillows. We do have some art but because its a new house, settling has caused wall cracks and will be all repaired/repainted at the 12 month point so we don't want to hang until after all that is done. I'll post a picture of the art in a minute.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is one of the pieces of art- it’s about 5 feet by 5 feet - I have 2 other similar color schemes that are smaller

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More room pictures- it’s a huge room so hard to get pictures of it

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thinking the huge painting on the wall by chair & ottoman then 2 smaller on wall above sectional (2 3ftx3ft paintings in similar colors)

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We also have no dining room decor

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We bought a whole house of furniture in 1 day. All neutrals so I could figure out how to decorate later. Just have a hard time

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

I don’t want to comment on this but honestly is there no other color of leather furniture in the US except brown and then you add a bunch of crapola from China in espresso brown because you don’t have quite enough brown. BTW those 2 style so f sofas already do not work together so what is it you want to do to bring these 2 spaces together

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, that was really helpful, extremely well written and professional- people must be beating down the doors to work with you

• erinsean
    6 years ago

I love your living room with the light sofa and really, really like the chest with the phone on it. As for your big comfy sectional...a super place to watch tv. The one thing is that the chair with the ottoman......the ottoman is a little much....can you pull the chair out a little farther into the room and put a floor lamp behind or beside it. Maybe the ottoman can go on the wall beside the chair when not in use. As for coordinating the rooms....I can see red, yellow, rust or even teal. Pillows, throws and vases will complete your rooms.....will you be putting curtains on the windows? Would look really nice.

katmiller0 thanked erinsean
  • hollybar
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Looks like you need some color,texture and a bit of gleam. In addition to the pillows pictured (I prefer the first set but would go stronger in mood and color) Try adding in a few large accent pieces. Say a large tray or bowl for the coffee table, a textured throw or two,simple white linen panels could work but so would a soft print. Maybe decide on a color triad,so far you have brown and lean red. Making gold your third colour would be easy, making turquoise the third would be tougher but very rewarding.

katmiller0 thanked hollybar
  • aprilneverends
    6 years ago

Neutrals are quite hard to decorate with, they pose no less difficulties than color, if not more..that's why it's hard.

(Wood stains are easier. Not all of them but most of them. That's because we really see them as neutrals-lots of trees around)) Fabrics and paint..yeah, we consider such and such neutral yet it still bosses us around to a degree. They are warm, cool, light, dark, whatnot

But. From what I see you like both earthy and luxurious elements..am I right?

I think if you pull colors from your living. Light ones, whites, color of the sofa, colors of metal in your dining chandelier..And you translate it into textiles. Fabrics. But make them as earthy as your furniture-bigger and with a lot of texture, different texture, Yet a bit luxurious as well. Say faux fur. Add a throw, couple pillows. Go for different textures. Don't make these skimpy..should feel comfy, and break the expanse of furniture. And-you should love it. Really want to use it. It's about the feel as much as it is about decor. You can add an accent color you love. Actually you can add many. Start slow and see where it takes you. Just be generous about different textures, and sizes of things. Not a lot of small pillowsbut a coupe of really cool ones. Along these lines. Put books on yout table..if you like them of course. Or a tray. Bring in plants.

You can add a rug, for interest and pattern and fun. You'll add curtains at some point, I suppose.

You'll add art-no need to hurry.

As you go you can decide to move pieces..say an ottoman, a small side table..you'll become more relaxed, will play with placement more, will add colors, will decide to substract colors. You'll figure out your comfort zone,

I love your bunnies. The ones on the dining table. I look at them and see a sort of a clue. They seem cozy where they are. Is there a bird cage in the corner?

It is intimidating indeed to start off..and no place can get done in a day, unless it was collected for years (or painstainkingly designed in advance like it was collected for years) and then you just called movers. (and even then will need tweaking and thinking and whatnot). But as you go you get more like a bird or a bunny:) More carefree. You start enjoying. You make mistakes-well it's not an open heart surgery, you know. You tweak it, you play with it, you have fun, in the end of the day.

katmiller0 thanked aprilneverends
  • Twosit4me
    6 years ago

I'm a little confused, you have furniture from two rooms that are visible to eachother? Personally, I think the biggest imrovement for your family room would be a colorful rug along with some window panels. I agree with one of the earlier posters who suggested you pick your color scheme. I tend to like colors so I would bring in a teal or tourquoise which would also go with your grey walls.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, they are separate rooms but from certain angles you can see both. Like when you walk in the front door, the living room is on the right, dining on the left and family room straight ahead. So I think my problem is (other than being decor challenged) that I feel they really have to have a cohesive look.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That kind of gives you a better idea how you can see everything when you walk in- excuse all our shoes ;)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

What a cute doggie! I would suggest a colorful Oriental carpet for the dining room, something along the lines of the one above in the condo. You can also layer one over your rug in the living room, and can then take your inspiration for pillows and throws from the carpet. In terms of color coordination I don't think that your two living rooms clash in any way; they're both neutral. I would however, suggest a glass and metal coffee table in the room with the light couch.

You have a lot of empty walls in each room, and I would suggest quite large paintings in each room since you have so much space to work with. However, I would first address the issues of the drapes and rugs which will really personalize your spaces and add the warmth and color you need.

katmiller0 thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you everyone for the feedback. this was the original look I was going for because I thought the brown leather looked good with blue and white. but thecurtains are sold out and I am having trouble coming up with something similar. https://www.homedepot.com/collection/decor/patterns-living-room

• Twosit4me
    6 years ago

That is similar to the look I am looking at. I was just browsing Etsy and there are lots of blue and white curtains on there.

• katmiller0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, I did see on Etsy but I’d prefer something I can return if I decide I was crazy to think something would look good or is wrong size

• PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    6 years ago

To really get your rooms to coordinate the best thing you can do is to get some accessories. Here are some of our various designs that do include a lot of neutrals that might help you.

Contemporary Scottsdale Home · More Info

Contemporary Scottsdale Home · More Info

Modern Desert Contemporary Residence · More Info

Urban Ranch: Living Room · More Info

Modern Desert Contemporary Residence · More Info

katmiller0 thanked Design Directives, LLC
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 years ago

Looks like you have 2 threads on this? Anyway, your other one that I commented on seems to be gone? For some reason, I cannot access this discussion "What do you think of these pillows/color combo". Houzz has been making a lot of changes to its platform lately and could be due to that.