SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ibewye

I can do better than Don Gardner....I think.

ibewye
12 years ago

We got sick of scouring through "a 1001-farmhouse, two-story, country homeplans, eventually realized that they,re all the same, and somehow related to Don Gardner. We live in the country and priorities are a larger mudroom, good view of backyard to watch our 3 kids, cozy yet open LR,DR,Kit., LR will have a raised ceiling (but no cathedral). Don't need huge Mas. Bath or Mas. Bedroom, but we have hoped to keep MC and MB isolated b/c I'm up at 5am, and turning on the lights is certain to wake sleeping beauty and the stray kids who wandered in. Pantry is important and functional kitchen. We like simple versus ins, outs, and the mazes we've seen in some houses, also been trying to keep stairs near master bedroom b/c I'm having tough time accepting kids are growing up (5,6,13). Also enjoy an open staircase so I can see footy pajamas come down the stairs at xmas time. Trying to limit mud and dirty so we placed all our access to outside (walkout basement,mudroom, and So after 5 full graphing notebooks, 30 lbs of eraser scraps and a wife whos ready to snap, heres a rough draft of our house, right around 2500sq ft. T-shaped farmhouse that will have a full second story above Bed,Stairs,Hallway. Kitchen and DR will be single story with a shed roof coming off the back, and a second story will be above the LR but will not have full 8' ceiling all the way across, sloped on the sides but still with plenty of headroom and furniture options. We live in Upstate NY and used to have really cold, snowy winters, yet today is 75 degrees and the snow shovel is just rusty.

This is 1st story and has some incomplete issues such as the mudroom on the left, mainly cause i've drawn it 1000x and it's fairly simple, my main concern is with the first floor layout, specifically the 1/2 bath, pantry, laundry room area. We really tried to limit the mud and dirt by consolidating all the doors to one corner so regardless of how you got in(backdoor, walkout basement or mudroom)you could use bathroom and take off shoes if going any further. Obviously couldnt do this with front porch but front door visitors will be limited,(the reason for no closet near entry). Seems weird to me that so many houses can't see when someone is coming up driveway, which will be on the left side of our house near mudroom, but will be visible at parking spots plus coming across front. Not an architect or an engineer but have found somebody to draft and stamp for us. Be harsh and nitpicky(?) as I never cry. Thanks. IBEWYE

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplan of our future home for GardenWeb Critique

Comments (22)