SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sabigabatini

Help? Grout color disaster :( Can anything be done

sabigabatini
14 years ago

I chose a white mosaic glass tile for my shower - a blend of regular white, iridescent white, and sparkle white. I was going for a bright, fresh look since there is no window in the bathroom. I saw a picture of a shower done with this very tile blend which was perfect.

I spoke to the tile seller about which grout color would be correct and they recommended light gray or white, with the light gray being preferable.

I relayed this info to my contractor and I wish I had gone and bought/chosen the grout myself. He seemed to understand. Well, he used a MEDIUM grey: Delorean Gray grout (I was not home when the grouting was done) and when I got home today it was already done, and I hate it. I feel it looks terrible - way too dark, overpowering the milky pretty mosaic white tiles.

I haven't spoken to him yet about it - but is there any point? I have been doing searches all night to find out if there's any way to lighten a grout that's too dark, and it seems the answer is no. Is it true? :(((

The shower/tile was supposed to be the highlight of my bathroom renovation and that's where I spent the most money, on the tile. And now my heart sinks whenever I look at it.

It was just done today, could it be that it is still "wet" and will look lighter eventually? I'm sure I'm reaching here. Just looking for some sympathy, if not solutions. Thanks.

p.s. As the tile place suggested, we used a modified thinset - in white. The bag my contractor used was labeled white, although the powder to me looked more like off white/grey, in the bag. Is that normal?

Comments (19)