SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

Can anything be done to these cabinets?

nlmackay
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I have custom cherry cabinets in my kitchen. I love the look of the more natural wood in the third picture. Is there anything I can have done to my cabinets (stripped/bleached/stained) to achieve this look, aside from completely replacing them?

Comments (30)

• Fori
    3 years ago

It's a different species of wood so you'll never get the same effect. Cherry can probably be stripped and left natural, but it'll go to a lovely orange look which isn't what you're after. There may be some cerusing effects possible, but it would probably be cheaper to get new cabinets than to do a specialty refinish on existing.

nlmackay thanked Fori
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

JuneKnow - what are the issues with the lighting?

• Related Discussions

Can anything be done with this stone porch?

Q

Comments (4)
    Got it. The porch is such a prominent feature of house, I can’t imagine considering buying it when you don’t like it. Door color or shutters can be overlooked, but not this porch. Besides, changing it might make the price of house not cost effective.
    ...See More

I’m in a “door jamb” - can anything be done??

Q

Comments (3)
    The gaskets cannot be reset here. The glass must come apart and the IGU must be removed from the door in today to do that. Short of painting the windows black, there isn't anything that you are doing to fix what is there without taking the door apart (i.e. the glass).
    ...See More

Can anything be done to stop painted cabinets from peeling ?

Q

Comments (20)
    If water has not been allowed to sit on it whether from a sink or just from cleaning, this could be an issue with the finish. It may not have been mixed properly, or even the door may not have been cleaned of all dust before the finish. I've actually had this in the past with one of my clients kitchens. When it happened, as the Designer supplying the kitchen, I called the company on my clients behalf to request a warranty. The company looked at it & agreed that it was a problem on their end. My client was then provided with new doors to replace the ones that had the problem. Your Contractor/Designer should be fighting for a warranty on your behalf. My cabinet suppliers typically offer around a 10 year warranty for factory defects. It shouldn't matter who supplied it as it's the cabinet company warranty & not a Designer/Contractor warranty.
    ...See More

Paint samples show through newly painted wall. Can anything be done?

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm sorry, but the painter should have known the sample spots would show through. And he should have told you that you needed to either try to remove the paint, primer the spots, or apply a primer to the whole wall. The only way you are going to cover them up is to re-paint a darker color, or prime and re-paint.
    ...See More
  • Fori
    3 years ago

Did you add another photo? The one that is now second is the only one that was showing earlier and it did look dark. The lighting in the full shot shows that you just don't have all the lights on. :)

I could see improving the lighting somewhat, though--the ceiling fixtures could be placed better. Nothing serious I don't think!

nlmackay thanked Fori
  • kiffkat
    3 years ago

It would need to be completely stripped of your existing finish, sanded and restained and I’m sure a professional cabinet refinisher can achieve the look you want. I would not attempt to DIY it. The lighter look you are going for is gorgeous. I also think your existing cabinets are very nice. Once you go down that path, you’ll probably want to update the counters and backsplash as well. That’s the only way to get the complete look that you’re after.

nlmackay thanked kiffkat
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    3 years ago

Under cabinet lighting is a cheap easy fix. That alone would brighten the entire kitchen.

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    3 years ago

I'm assuming you bought this house as is and inherited rather than picked these lovely cherry cabinets. How long have your lived here? How long do you hope to stay? Also, what is going on in the rest of the house re: the style statement? Is it consistent with these cherry cabinets? And what's your budget? These are just some of the questions I would want answers for before suggesting a "fix".

Until then, I can add my voice to any that suggest that re-staining these will be very expensive and you will never get the look from your inspiration photo.

nlmackay thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

remove the doors from the uppers . Have carcass structure on uppers painted white. Get new doors for those uppers including a good number of glass doors. Frame painted areas can match what you do w carcasses . Leave the base cabs alone. Consider new counter and backsplash . I’m not so much for painting but the full height in a white mixed w some glass and new hardware and if you can new counters will allow no interfering w cherry below ....and you’ll achieve a lighter fresher look. Transitional. Later on then see what can be done w island. No dimensions shown. Of course nothing is worth the work if you have issues w layout. It’s longish and bit narrow so limited. But if you can figure something w island in the sense of upgrading you might really feel better. Dont try to transform wood into a different species . Carpenters in my family: “ cherry is the best wood “ I think it’s okay to paint the uppers and redo the look a bit. It can be different from what you have.

nlmackay thanked herbflavor
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elizabeth Minish Design - We bought this house in 2007 and it was built in 2001. We are outside of Boston and it's a 4 car garage, 4 bedroom home, with 3500 square feet. We are in our early 40's and our style home is transitional. We just re-did everything in 2017 (paint throughout, refinished hardwood floors throughout, re did bathrooms, new roof and new siding). We also replaced the double ovens, 6 burner stove and dishwasher with all new thermador appliances in the kitchen....I'm in the middle of cooking dinner and the kitchen is a mess, but here's a pic of the ovens. We love the look of Studio McGee and try to achieve that aesthetic. We just had our 3rd child and even though each of our kids have their own bedroom, we'd prefer to move to a 5 bedroom home in the next year or 2. I'd be fine with spending up to $10K in the meantime in order to update the cabinets.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

You have a very nice kitchen. Be happy to have one that looks that good. It doesnt need changing. It also looks to be in near perfect condition. I see nothing wrong with your cabinets. They are quite attractive.

nlmackay thanked cat_ky
  • crcollins1_gw
    3 years ago

Cabinets are beautiful. If you're moving in a year or three or five, save your $10k+ and do nothing. Many people would love the cherry and you can't chase what you think the next owner will like.

nlmackay thanked crcollins1_gw
  • housegal200
    3 years ago

Get lighter countertops, backsplash, undercabinet lighting, and hardware, and your kitchen will look like this:

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Elizabeth Minish Design
    3 years ago

If you are moving on in 1 to 2 years, it is likely that whatever you do will not be to the new owners' tastes, so save your money, embrace what you have and enjoy it while you're there. You have done a number of big ticket replacements that new owners will be happy not to have to do. Revel in your new appliances and concentrate your enthusiasm for a new look on your next house.

In the meantime, I agree with the commenters who find the space dark. Under cabinet lighting would help but won't significantly alter the ambient lighting in the space. A different style of pendant lighting over the island that bounced some light off the ceiling instead of all the lighting being down-lighting as it currently is would be a place to start.

As an added note, cherry cabinets with a dark countertop give off more of an Arts and Crafts vibe than anything else ( but not Studio McGee which I would describe as California Casual). I have no idea what's going on in the rest of the house, but if you are desperate to do something else, your money would be better spent backing up that look than trying to change it to something that is probably not achievable - at least not for $10K.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

It's a great kitchen.

I would leave the cabinets alone, but I would update your backsplash. The four inch granite with the back splash does not work. There are some beautiful back splash tile out there that would give you a whole new look.

I would also up date the hardware on your cabinet doors.

Add a beautiful runner.

nlmackay thanked njmomma
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

This is what I would do, keep some, change some.

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

Moving in a year or 2??? Really just leave well enough alone . You’ve done a fair share already and the disruption for a worthwhile project w 3 kids.... ??? Heavens no....

nlmackay thanked herbflavor
  • RTHawk
    3 years ago

I would live with it; 1-2 years goes by really quickly especially with a baby. Spend the 10K on a nice vacation (when it's safe to do so)

nlmackay thanked RTHawk
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

No amount of money is going to make cherry look like white oak.

Get new counter tops & it will look like you have a whole new kitchen.

nlmackay thanked ci_lantro
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

you're comparing white oak to cherry. as stated, "it will never look like that"

Your lighting is placed directly next to the crown molding. the cans should be dispersed further towards the middle to give more even lighting.

see the placement of these in relation to the crown?

the bulbs should be a temp of 4000K for no yellow hues.

get some under cabinet lighting too, and new pendants.

If you spent the money on new countertops, backsplash, redid the lighting and got some handles instead of knobs, it would look brand new. And beautiful. easily had for less than 10K.

here's natural cherry with River White granite and a beautiful gray/green crackle glaze subway tile. Also, notice the placement of the ceiling lights.

white quartz.

nlmackay thanked Beth H. :
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H. - thanks very much! if I swap out the hardware to start, would I do black or stick with silver?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

prob the nickel. you want to lighten up the space, yes?

I love the look of these. clean, simple. they come in all finishes

but wait until you get the countertops done. you'll want it to match w/whatever you choose.

there are so many great choices out there. take a door w/you to a stone yard.

nlmackay thanked Beth H. :
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! Yes, definitely lighten! I spoke with my husband and he's agreeing with many of the posters that if we are moving within 2 years, we shouldn't go crazy investing any more in updating....if we ONLY change the cabinet hardware, backsplash and 3 pendant lights, what are your suggestions? All clear glass, globe pendants? Subway tile? I'm not sure what would "go" with these cabinets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

so, leave the black countertop? what would think about replacing the island top? do you think he'd compromise on that ? This way you could get something lighter (and it's cheaper to find a remnant in that smaller size) w/diff pendants.

remove the old backsplash and do something diff. I don't like the idea of a plain white subway tile, only because there is nothing else white in that kitchen.

this one shows white countertops and a nice softer gray subway tile.

here are a few cherry cabs w/black countertops

same pic, diff angle.

A soft blue actually works great w/cherry and the black

here's the white tile. however, they have a white island here. otherwise, it would look funky

this one is only slightly better. they did more of a craftsman feel to the decor. and the countertop is a matte finish. probably soapstone.

Finally found an example w/a lighter island countertop w/the black perimeter!

this is basically what yours would resemble if you did the white island top and white tile splash.

But I wouldn't use the 3x6. I'd use these 2.5X10 Ivy Hill (comes in a soft sage color too)

or this 3x12 herringbone

or even a soft sage or blue crackle glaze tile

glass pendants

• nlmackay
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth H. : thanks SO very much! I like the last one, especially the herringbone!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

you can do that with any color tile, but just keep it in the 2x8, 2x10, 3x9, 3x12 size. it looks better.
    this one is a carrara marble herringbone. looks like a 3x12 or 2x10 size.

soft glazed grayish blue,,,also a good color and look.

I kind of like this look. once you get your lighting redone, this could work.

https://discountglasstilestore.com/contempo-4-x-12-matte-black-deco-porcelain-wall-tile-on-sale-3-79-sq-ft/

even the black is cool w/a lighter grout. you'll need under cabinet lighting w/this choice.

Or, you could get the herringbone mosaic sheets. since it's going against a solid black (or looks to be a solid) the mosaic shouldn't be a problem.

1x4 marble mosaic

I'd still do a diff island top though.

Kashmir White (or River White)

Bianco Romano granite

white quartz (looks like Cambria) with plain old white tile

• Connie Stackhouse
    3 years ago

Definitely keep the cabs. They are lovely, timeless, and look expensive. Improve lighting and get a light quartz counter with some tan and soft gray veining.

nlmackay thanked Connie Stackhouse
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Some ideas to combine colors like yours. And your counter top works still great.

• PRO
    nlmackay thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images