SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Tile Layout Help Please

jalal
15 years ago

Hi. Am new to this forum--old on ponds forum. I will be tiling the walls and floor of a new basement bathroom. In my research most say to start with one wall and center the tile horizontally and vertically. My problem is perhaps in the tile I bought or the room dimensions or my visualization.

The room is 9 x 6 feet wide. The shower stall goes in the lefthand corner opposite the doorway (east end of room). This is a 36 inch rounded shower (Fleurco Banyo Avilia glass walls with acrylic base). Shower wall butts up against pocket door wall into bedroom behind.

On the north wall starting from shower corner wall measures: 36 inches, 2 inch indent to next area for toilet, 30 inches of wall, 2 inch indent back out (this section of wall is framed with 2 x 2's instead of 2 x 4's design error) 40 3/4 inches to corner. West wall is 40 3/4 inches to door molding. The other wall abutts furnace room and will not be tiled.

The wall tile is 10 x 16 glazed porcelain and matching color 12 x 12 glazed porcelain for floor. As floor is concrete will be Ditra floor. Wish I had researched more before buying the shower unit as would have put in a full kerdi shower & base. Will be doing kerdi on the shower walls.

With the indent on the wall area where the toilet is going if I center the tiles on that wall I'll end up with lots of less than 5 inch pieces for the project. Plan on tiles running bond pattern rather than brick as less cuts long side vertical as will make room look bigger.

My plan was to start from the 40 inch corner--would take 4 tiles to the toilet area, 3 tiles in that area (although I'd have to cut one at least down in width) 3 tiles, then a half tile to shower corner and half tile and 3 tiles to outside edge of east end of the shower. Does this make any sense???

I am also planing on tiling the shower walls to the ceiling. Finished floor to ceiling height in this room will only be 85 inches (which meets Cdn codes for basements). The other walls I plan on tiling to 48 inches including a 3" border--those little square tiles. I was thinking of running the border at the same height around the room and in the shower area having another set of tiles above that followed by another border and the top row of tiles. Due to my ceiling height should I try to have the bottom and top row of tiles the same size or could the bottom row be around 12". The shower pan is 6 inches deep. If my thinking is correct the first grout line should be level on the wall including the shower pan depth.

My nephew will be laying the tiles for me as rates from tiling store were $9.00 a square ft for laying the floor tile and more for the wall tile. All tiled wall areas are hardibacker. Could not use Densishield on the toilet/long wall as cannot have vapor barrier behind it (cdn codes). That wall is an outside wall so has roxul insulation and vapor barrier. Perhaps of interest to some readers saw a beautiful green 6 x 9 tile today at a local store. $55.00 per tile. Way beyond my budget!!! Thanks for suggestions. Patti

Comments (8)