SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acountryfarm

help with contractor from ?????

acountryfarm
16 years ago

New here, have been building for awhile. Very much need some advice or to hear others experience with contractors. To make a long, sad story short....

We are building a 6000 sq. ft. home. We hired this builder, as we were told by one bank exec. this is who we had to use. Let me say first we are intelligent , well read, business owners, but have never built before. I guess I could safely say now, not very knowing about what we should have done (I do now). He is a big builder in town, yet has a terrible rep with suppliers and other subs, that should have scared me away. Remember the bank said this was who we had to use (have since learned that is against bank policy for an employee to recommend anyone). He has a "foreman", now we find out he is another sub and he gets all jobs from him (no competitive bidding) and a cut. We are told this foreman is time an materials, and he is taking 10-20% from materials, through over billing, or over ordering and not giving credit back. We now are tld credit will be given at end of job off builders fee even though foreman is one who billed for it and whom we pd. for it. So the money is out of the budget which we desperately need back in.

Issue # 2 , builder at house 3 times since Nov. 1st, 2 of those times required by back to meet them out there. Foreman out there maybe 8 time since Nov. 1st. We do absolutely everything. All scheduling, all quality control, all problem solving, all communicating with suppliers, all check driving to suppliers and subs (or they wouldn't get checks) Absolutely all of it. Trying to figure out, septic, concrete stair pour dates, forms for stairs, etc. He has taken so much out of budget from over charges etc that we are currently almost to the penny that much over budget. Because of this we have had to skimp in areas we shouldn't or eliminate things completely. This man is a shame to contractors everywhere. We can not buy anything (except lumber products ) with his account as he has no accounts anywhere. We pay cash and then fight to get reimbursed if we do at all. We have had to have numerous things re-done because of such poor quality and they are NOT there to watch or supervise. We hired our own man to be out there 40 hrs. per week just to watch and run things so everything would be done right. Our C also will hold things up if he doesn't like it that we question billings and where things went. He is now not letting electric come and hook up furnaces even though we are almost done with finish and need heat. Let me add that the foreman was on time and materials on all things and does not want to provide documentation for anything. He wants us to shut up and pay no matter what.

So...... are we crazy for thinking something isn't right here? Do we have a leg to stand on? We have talked to bank and then tend to ignore, even though we have subs with Right to Lien Notices that haven't been full pd, although we have fully pd. Let me say, this story is very true, as bad as it sounds they dont have much to say for themselves other than they are "working so hard for us".

I am sick about it every day. I certainly don't mind being out there and am out there, it is my home and will do whatever needs to be done but we are paying him 20% to be the builder. Is this situation similar to anyone and if so what now?

I so apprecite anyone reading this far and offering any solutions, or advice.

Thanks!!

Comments (3)