SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pderby

Bosch Dishwasher Cutlery Tray Binds

pderby
13 years ago

We recently replaced a 10 year old GE Profile Dishwasher that never had a problem and still worked well with a Bosch Integra 800 Plus SHX68E15UC Dishwasher that has a cutlery dray (drawer) at the top. We bought the "top of the line" Bosch hoping for quality and reliability and a hassle free dishwasher.

While the new dishwasher looks wonderful in the kitchen and runs nice and quiet, the cutlery tray is a problem. When you pull it all the way out to load cutlery, the tray binds during closing. You have to very carefully line up the tray by wiggling it left and right slightly and gently to align the tray onto the rails so they follow the rollers. If the alignment isn't absolutely perfect, the tray binds and you have to pull it out a bit and start the wiggling process again.

I called Bosch and asked if there were reported problems similar to ours and was told no. I requested they send a pair of rails so I could swap them to see if that fixed the problem so I didn't have to take off work for a service call. They sent rollers instead of rails which I installed and the same binding occurs. I swapped sides with the rails to see if the binding changed, and it didn't.

I found a "preferred" service company on Bosch's web site and they came out to check the dishwasher. The service tech seemed extremely knowledgable but said he had never seen this model before since it was very new. He checked the interior panels to make sure they were perfectly aligned and showed no creases or dimples and said the dishwasher didn't appear to have been damaged and out or square. He agreed the tray was binding beyond what anyone would ever expect.

He said he would check with Bosch tech support and get back with their recommendations on how to fix the sticking tray. He did call back after talking to what he considered one of their top tech support people that has access to the design engineers and said the sticking tray is a known situation and there is no fix for the problem so it can't be repaired by replacing the rails or rollers.

I'm posting here to see if anyone else has this model Bosch and experienced the same sticking cutlery tray problem and possibly figured out a fix.

It seems that a $1,800 to $2,000 dishwasher would be better designed and manufactured! I sure didn't expect to have to take half days off work to meet service people to work through design problems with this dishwasher.

Sigh.....

Comments (6)