SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbuilding143

Building on a budget.. What areas should we focus money?

njbuilding143
10 years ago

Ok.. So we are building on a budget here in NJ.. We just got back our first proposal from one of the builders we met with. He told us straight out that due to our budget he gave us the best proposal he could.. Mind you this was a basic proposal and there were not a lot of 'specifics' written out.. I was just wondering what areas of a house we should focus money on.. For example in the proposal the builder listed Silverline by Andersen double hung windows.. Doing a little research I found that silverline is a 'contractor' grade material and on the lower end.. So this is obviously an area where I would want to upgrade.. We are not a 'top of the line' couple so we are not looking for everything to be high end but we dont want to build a home that in 2 years we need to replace everything.. We are looking to live here for some time.. Just wanted to get an idea on some other areas that we should pay attention to from those that are further along in the process or done this before..

FYI the proposal we received was for a 2500 square foot home with a 400 square foot attached garage, a 1250 square foot walk down basement (unfinished), and included asphalt driveway, concrete walkways, seed for grass, all excavation, debris removal, and use of their architect to draw final plans.. Basically complete turn key home from start to finish.. The only thing not included was permit fees which they said is whatever the town charges, and tie in fees which everything is at the curb so no need to go into street.. Proposal was listed at 345k..

This is the plan that he based the proposal off of:

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Comments (10)