SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gneebee

want advice: dble oven replace w/: steam? speed? micro combo?

gneebee
14 years ago

We're soon to begin remodeling our 1992 kitchen and I'm overwhelmed with choices. I've decided to replace the old Amana cooktop with a 36" induction..probably Bosch. We've already bought the Therm. Freedom Columns to integrate and replace our old Amana side-by-side. My Kitchenaid double ovens (one has convection) have served me well, although I favor the convection oven and seldom use the lower oven for just the 2 of us. Our yellowed, plastic over-the-range Quasar microwave is still working, but we plan to build a nice hood as a focal point over the cooktop, so I'll lose the microwave and need a replacment cooking soln.

After raising 4 children, we're now grandparents (55/59) and only use the 2 ovens when the kids come home. When they're here, however, we do a lot of cooking and everything is in use at the same time! I had 12 around the Christmas dinner table and expect the family to grow as the babies continue to arrive.

My dilemma is whether to continue with the idea of new covenction double ovens or do a micro/oven combo.... or get a speed oven or steam oven for the 2nd oven .... and then have a warming drawer to keep casseroles, etc. warm. I like what I've read of the steam ovens and see how one might encourage healthier eating, but am getting a bit confused. Can they work also like a microwave.... to pop popcorn. melt butter, or to re-heat casseroles quickly? At a "Home Show" we attended recently, a salesman sang the praises of the Miele steam oven, Master Chef electric oven, warming drawer comb.... but thought Bosch had the better induction range.

I've read and read and read throughout the forums, but started getting confused.... and also rather amazed when I ran into some rather tense responses. This is a very educational forum, so I'd love to hear from those of you who have bought ovens in recent years.

Thoughts?

Comments (2)