SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
betshsu_gw

Oven/microwave/speed oven combos and options

betshsu
9 years ago

We are in the process of doing a new kitchen, and originally had been planning on reusing the original double ovens (old KitchenAid Superba). But in considering various options to get our microwave off the counter, there seem to be endless possibilites. We rarely use both ovens, so probably don't need a double oven, but we are not sure if we don't replace now and it does need replacing soon if we'll be looking at big cost implications with having to retrofit cabinets for whatever replaces it. Here is what we've considered:

- replace double oven w speed oven/true oven combo and ditch microwave. Our vendor recommended the Kitchen Aid Architect KEMS309BSS to us. My worry is that if one component breaks, we have to replace the whole thing. We'd probably use it as a microwave a lot, which might lead to earlier failure of the speed oven. Speed ovens seem finicky to me, and I'm not sure we really need it (we cook primarily veg at home, so at most useful for speeding up roasting veg time).
- replace double oven w speed oven/true oven combo and keep separate microwave. The big appeal of a speed oven is its smaller size and energy efficiency for cooking small things like a pizza. Ideally, we'd get a double oven with a smaller capacity oven on top but this doesn't seem to exist except a GE profile which is really fitting a dual oven into a single oven space. So it seems like we'd have to go speed oven to get a smaller capacity oven. But maybe if we used it primarily as a true oven and had a separate microwave it would last longer and the finickiness of swapping between oven and microwave mode wouldn't matter? Not sure of what the best combo is if we go this route.
- replace double ovens with two separate units, either two single ovens of different capacity or a speed oven and single oven and have a separate microwave. This seems like an expensive route, since it seems like singles are pretty expensive on their own but haven't asked vendor for pricing yet. Can you even get ovens of the same width with significantly different capacity?
- keep double ovens and get either a microwave drawer or wall microwave cabinet. We were originally leaning toward the drawer, but my husband went to see one in person and thought it was tiny (esp height wise). Granted, this was an older one and I think a 30" Viking and we'd get the newer 24" Sharp (and yes, I know all mw drawers are really Sharp). Maybe our ovens will last forever or retrofitting an oven cabinet for new appliances isn't so bad?

Thanks for any thoughts! The whole thing is circular with cabinets and appliances, which is a whole other story and we really need to get things decided in the next week.

Comments (7)