SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aigredoux

Speed or Steam oven for me?

Butternut
9 years ago

I currently have double ovens, but I don't actually use them simultaneously that often. We are embarking on a new build, and wondering if I should get either a steam or speed oven in addition to an electric convection oven instead of the double oven.

I have 2 little kids, ages 3 and 9 months. I often cook things for my son in the toaster oven (chicken tenders, tater tots, fish sticks, etc.) because I'm only doing a single portion and it heats up more quickly than the big ovens. If possible, I'd like to get rid of the toaster oven on the counter, so capability to do these things is important. I know they aren't young forever, but I don't see my chicken tenders days ending all that soon :-)

We use the microwave for reheating leftovers and coffee, sometimes frozen veggies. I have a drawer microwave now, and I find it frustrating because it closes slowly and I can't start it until it closes, just to give you an idea of my patience level. I'm not sure if I would be frustrated by wanting to heat my coffee and having to move trays or select programs in the speed oven.

I also like to bake bread, and I understand a steam oven would be great for this. And we roast fish at least twice a week, which seems like it could also be a good application of the steam oven. We also eat a lot of roasted veg - brussels sprouts and asparagus mainly.

We will have an adjacent pantry to put a cheap microwave if we don't get the speed oven.

Which one of these would be most useful for my cooking style? I want both, but don't think that makes sense at all!

Comments (39)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional