SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totallyblessed_gw

is this a good remedy for granite slabs not matched?

totallyblessed
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

We are steadily plugging along on our build.

Last Friday, our granite slabs for the kitchen were delivered and installed. I noticed right away that our long counter (which has 2 slabs side by side) was not matching up appearance-wise. Our granite is "copper canyon". The one on the left is heavily veined and fairly dark "copper". The one on the right has a more "flecked" appearance and has a more creamy background where the 2 join together. Further down that lighter stone it does darken up some, so that when you reach the end of that long stone, it is almost as dark as the slab on the left.

It is very obvious that there are 2 slabs there, rather than the ideal of "one giant long stone" look. I'm disappointed. I did not even price compare because I wanted to keep my business local. And this company is very good. I've seen several of their jobs and they have a great reputation.

Well, I called manager and explained my dissatisfaction (sp?) with that are in the kitchen. Everything else looks beautiful. They came that afternoon after lunch to deliver our island slab, so manager took a look. He agreed they don't look very similar. Coloring is off. He tried darkening the counter that is lighter with something or other, but it only darkened it about a shade... not enough to "match". Now, there are spots here and there of that cream color in the granite on the island, etc. But those 2 slabs side by side are not working! At all!!

Manager said that when they return next week with backsplashes, he will come and polish down some of the "resin" that is on the darker slab. He showed me where it is much lighter on the oggee edges of our sink (and it really is!). He said if he grinds down and polishes a small area where the two come together (on the dark stone) that he will remove some of the resin that is put on granite to darken it. And then they will hopefully look similar and that will "fix" the mismatch.

Does this sound reasonable to you? Has anyone heard of this? I don't want to compromise my countertop in any way. It is just to the right of our sink, if that makes any difference... it is not in a corner or an out-of-the-way spot. It's in a high profile area.

I'm paying a lot of money for our countertops. I want it to look right, and right now it does not.

Would you let them grind/polish your countertop in hopes that they match when all is said and done? I guess I'm concerned because I actually prefer the darker stone, and if it doesn't match after they grind the dark down, then I could end up with even more "light" on the counters, which is not what I was after when I chose that stone. Of course it has variation. But the rest of the kitchen is darker!

Any advice or info. you can share would be appreciated. :o)

Comments (16)