SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Granite slab AND tile or butcherblock?

cotehele
15 years ago

Just a little desperation here! Sorry if this seems to repeat recent posts (I have read), but none answer my questions. The 10' x 4 1/2' island planned for our remodel will cost a small fortune (to us anyway) to cover with a slab of granite. I am looking for alternatives. I want farmhouse sinks, baring that at least undermount sinks. The SS sinks that are compatible with the laminate-counterseal system are not the right sizes.

Is it possible to use a granite slab for the back-to-back farmhouse sinks and tile the remainder of the countertop with granite that (relatively) matches the slab? I don't understand the fabrication process, but seams in granite are referenced often. Would or could joining the seam of slabs be the same process be used to join the granite tiles? I can never keep grout clean; I would love to avoid it.

There is an 18'' overhang adjacent to the sinks. Should that be slab or could it be tiled?

Do you think using mixed materials would look terrible? Say, inexpensive IKEA butcher block for 1/2? Or if the posts and end cabinet (I was planning to top with wood) were incorporated into the island it would be to 2/3rds?

Hope this picture helps visualize, it is not easy to explain:

toward outside wall:

toward central hall:

Kitchen Plan (Entry & DR to the right)

Comments (12)