SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minnesotaguy28

Final Walkthrough/Punch List Question

minnesotaguy28
13 years ago

We are set to close on Friday (2/25). We are having a Final Walkthrough on Tuesday (I searched this site and got a lot of good info on what to look for). But the house still will need 1 more coat of paint (Wednesday, which family and friends that have walked through stated doesn�t seem it will be enough since there is a lot of stain on the walls since the trim/cabinets were stained in place). The house also won't be cleaned until Friday evening/Saturday (After we close). Should I schedule another walkthrough with the builder on Thursday or is this normal? We are closing Friday since the builder is leaving out of town the following week (more of a favor to him) and our 4-month rate lock is up on March 3rd. The bank is doing their inspection/appraisal on Thursday (2/24).

I have been walking through the house each day (currently living with in-laws next door to our new house) and have been sending the builder emails daily with the items that need fixing as I come across them. He has stated we will look over them come Tuesday�s walkthrough. Seems like he might be cutting it close with 3 days to finish some of these items up, I can foresee him stating that it might be after the closing that some of these items get addressed.

Since we live in Minnesota, the builder is waiting to pour our Concrete garage floor (had quite a bit of fill in back corner so builder wanted to wait till spring) Driveway, Sidewalk, Final Grade, Landscaping, A/C, ETC. The Title company/Bank is holding 1.5x bid cost of these items until they are finished, so I am not too worried there as long as everything gets included in that list (Which I have asked to see before being submitted to Bank/Title Company)

Some of the items that need to be addressed are a cracked tile in the shower near the faucet head, a few cracked shingles (I went up their today since the weather has been so nice taking pictures and came across a vent pipe that still had it�s sealed cover on that I think was suppose to be cut off by now. I knew I better make it up there today since we are suppose to get 12-15 inches of snow today) The cracked shingles are all in the same area, which I think happened when the sheetrock guys loaded their drywall through the window just above the shingles in question. A large gouge in the top of the bench in the mudroom, which was sanded and now feels very bumpy as you run your fingers across it (Are we too picky?) Rough areas on the sides of the railings going up and down the stairs (again too picky?), the dryer vent was moved and before they seal up the hole I spray foamed into the cavity since I knew the sheetrock guys would just mud over the area (which still hasn't been done yet) and a list of other small items.

Should I request the builder have these items finished before I close (3 days time between walkthrough and closing) or is it acceptable to have him do some/most/all of them after the closing. I have already told him I have heard too many stories that once we close the builder gets around to things rather slowly, which he has stated will not be the case. The house comes with a 1 year fit and finish type warranty, which the builder stated he would send me the statue, but I haven't seen it yet. The contract states "During 1 year period the dwelling shall be free from defects caused by faulty workmanship and defective materials due to non-compliance with building standards" it goes on to state that I get 2 years for plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling.

He has been a great GC so far and has done a few change orders that would cost more money for no cost for the change order or the upgrade (Adding a hearth to the fireplace, Dutch lap Vinyl siding, painted garage doors) We have also noticed some things where we paid for the standard and got an upgrade (paid for 25 year shingles and got 30 year architectural, paid for standard round knob doors and got lever style)

Comments (2)