SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheltieche

tumbled marble /travertine wall application

sheltieche
16 years ago

Am gathering supplies/ info on refinishing powder room.

Settings- 60 year old house, plaster walls, polished marble floor. Wallpaper suffered from leaks from full bath above on the second floor therefore need to redo. Am removing wallpaper.

Fell in love with tumbled marble 4x4 and large format 18x18 travertine tile and would like to do waistcoat tile application with it. Also got some nice listello natural stone and pencil trim to finish. Two large format tiles will go up to 36" and then lines of small travertine/ stone listello with pencil trim on top apprx to 45" height.

Questions

1. Will remove wallpaper and rough up walls with sander. How crucial is to put wonderboard? Consideration against is- room is small to begin with, toilet is less than 2" away from the wall so extra thickness of the wall is an issue.

2. Have Versabond- is it acceptable to use or should search for something like Mapei Ultralite for better grip?

3. If I need to use wonderboard how do I finish waistcoating ? There will be added thickness to the part of the wall. If I lay pencil trip directly on the wall instead of wonderboard it will disconfigure whole design as listellos have same trim and depth will be different.

4. Am confused about when and how to seal marble /travertine. Travertine is polished so am able to seal it after grout. Tumble marble has holes and uneven surfaces. Do I preseal it first and then grout or how do I clean it from grout? I was thinking about applying paper tape to each 4x4 tile and grout over it. Besides time consuming any downsides to this idea?

5. What product shall I use for sealing?

Comments (6)