SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

24 hrs or 72 after stain before Waterlox?

katrinavhh
14 years ago

Hi, cross posting to Flooring and Building...

How long should I really wait after staining before putting down the first coat of Waterlox?

Floor finishers say 24 hours is enough; Waterlox says whatever the stain company calls for or 72 hours, whichever is longer.

The floor finishers say that is not necessary. Of course, as anxious as I am to move in the house, I hate to wait two extra days if it's not needed. As I am sure all of you know, nothing (NOTHING) can happen in the house during this process, so we're at a standstill on all of the last punch list items. (The floors being finished are all over the entire house.)

After a call to Waterlox to clarify the 72 hour wait time, they explained it was to "make sure the stain has dried." Minwax's website says the dry time is 8 hours.

The floor finishers stained the white oak floors Monday. They want to come back Wednesday noon to start the first coat of Waterlox.

What do you think? Let them start Wed afternoon, giving 48 hours? Or make them wait a day to allow the full 72?

BTW, the stain was 2 coats of a Minwax blend, Waterlox is the original formula, we're planning 3 coats total (4 in kitchens and bathrooms). Floors are new white oak.

Thanks for your opinions!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!