SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wishnwell_gw

Do you REALLY like your clear glass shower?

wishnwell
13 years ago

They're beautiful. But are they practical?

Glass choice is my hangup in getting our master bath walkin shower designed. The shower is along the outside wall, with some kind of glass forming the interior "wall" framing the shower. What I need is some form of glass to form a straight-line wall that measures just short of 9' including the opening. We're removing an old jetted tub and extending the shower.

Options appear to be frameless glass to floor (I don't like pony walls in a shower), some sort of "privacy" glass, or glass blocks.

Even with Showerguard or some other treatment, I wonder if glass doesn't eventually get etched and spot? We routinely wipe down after every shower with microfiber (works better than squeegee), so that's not an issue. I'm also unsure how I feel about the privacy thing...do we really want our aging bodies that exposed, LOL?

I'd like to know how those of you who have these lovely clear showers REALLY feel about them apart from the aesthetics?

Comments (33)

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Apart from the aesthetics here are two reasons I like clear glass (starphire, not regular green glass)

1. It opens up the bathroom. You gain the visual space of the shower

2. It allows the design, tile etc to flow throughout the bathroom. You design the bathroom as a whole with tile lines that continue through the shower. The shower does not seem like a separate unit but integrated into the bathroom.

• annemouse
    13 years ago

Agree with pharaoh. Plus, when you take a warm shower, the steam creates a "privacy glass", anyhow. After 1.5 years we have absolutely no issues with staining, etching etc. (used starfire).

• Related Discussions

Do you love or hate your glass shower walls?

Q

Comments (16)
    I love it! I won't lie...they are a bit more work, however I wouldn't change my decision. Our bathroom is extreamly small and the frameless glass shower just opens the space up so much. Ours: - Plain glass - No "shower guard" treatment (although I did buy an aftermarket product that I put on the glass to help repel water...similar to RainX) - We have semi-hard water (no softener...yet!) - We both squeegee every time we shower (if we didn't ours probably would be spotted with water marks) - Timing - never timed myself, but 4-5 minutes sounds about right. Husband is quicker, but I have to admit I am more detailed...taking the extra time to wipe down with a "ShamWow' type of towel. It may be a minute more but the shower just looks "clean" when all the chrome fixtures are shiny! - Our shower has marble floor so we use very mild cleaning products - We use liquid soap (this is very important!) We have had our shower for 1 year. No issues although we did get some mineral build up along the plastic strip at the bottom of the shower door. I just took the plastic strip off used some liquid bar keepers friend and it was as good as new. Once we get the water softener I think that issue will hopefully go away.
    ...See More

Do you like your shower niche?

Q

Comments (29)
    We recently re-did the shower in my girls' bathroom, and I have one regret: The niche is too small. With two long-haired girls, they like the large pump-bottles of shampoo and conditioner ... and that leaves only one skinny spot for one more item. They have no real space for a bar of soap. I wish they either had two niches or one looong niche. No, the niche doesn't look messy -- but because they can't fit their body wash, shaving cream, etc. into the niche, they sit it on the shower floor. The floor does look messy. Also, be very specific with the tile installer before the work is started. I chose simple 12x12 beige tiles for the wall and a smaller 2x2 square for the flooring ... it seemed obvious to me that the 2x2 would go into the niche as an accent. However, the tiler went to some trouble to cut the larger tiles "just so" so that the lines would match ... and I walked in while he was doing it. He changed the niche to the 2x2 tile, but he clearly thought it was a mistake on my part. The moral: Don't assume everyone else agrees with your choices!
    ...See More

Any pics of glass door fridges? Do you like yours?

Q

Comments (13)
    I think the only way I would consider having one would be if I also had another fridge with a solid door. It would look really cool to have folks over and have the bowls of salads and the incredible dessert sitting there looking at them with some wine chilling belwo, but who wants to see the dozens of bottles of partially used condiments and wrapped leftovers, etc.? I think the Subzero Pro 48 tried to compromise on that with the drawers below, keeping a commercial feel, but the use of the space isn't good for me -- or the price tag, and I couldn't even be tempted when they put the ice at floor level. I guess if you are going to spend that much opn a fridge, you ought to have no ice in it and have a separate icemaker. Silly me.
    ...See More

Do you like your glass range hood?

Q

Comments (2)
    outdated? I sure hope not because that is what I am putting in so as to minimize the blockage of the view of our ponds
    ...See More
  • renov8r
    13 years ago

We didn't realize there was so much to know about glass showers. We have a glass shower enclosure and so far (6 months) we love it. Yes, we look after it, more than we did with a shower curtain.
    I am curious what do people do to keep it clean? We don't use any product on ours. Should we?
    We squeegie it, and then go over it again with a microfibre cloth. When I see spots on it, during the day, I will again use a microfibre cloth to remove them. Is that good enough?

• ras9999
    13 years ago

I am doing shower glass.
    But my builder just discussed channel or frameless with caulking. He never mentioned the type of glass.

What should I be asking for specifically ?

We also have steam shower.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

There is nothing that Is "big" to know.
    For general knowledge about options, look on web sites of people who sell glass. E.g. Wilson. Then come back with other questions.

• jmad122
    13 years ago

Just had to add that we've had our glass shower for almost 10 years, and it looks perfect. We spray it with Clean Shower afterveach shower. We don't wipe it down, but I clean it weekly with Windex. I love everything about it except for the dated brass trim.

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

" privacy thing...do we really want our aging bodies that exposed, LOL? "

you are IN the bathroom? behind closed door? what more privacy do you need? exposing your body to whom?

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Had one for 6 years. Like it a lot. Nice and airy. Pretty much keeps itself clean: use some Windex on it a couple of times a year. (I can hear a lot of you clean freaks cringing, but it seems to be fine.)

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

kudzu9- I'm with you. can't even believe I used to dust once a week...

• astridh
    13 years ago

I am also wondering about the privacy issue. My husband and I get ready at the same time in the morning, so he'll be in the room while I'm showering. Sometimes a kid will wander in to ask a question. Does the shower really fog up while you are using it? I don't want to feel like I am on display. We have a small bathroom and the clear glass would really open it up. Aesthetically, the decision is obvious. I just don't want to feel self-conscious.

• debrak_2008
    13 years ago

I just posted a rant about my new shower in "hate my brand new shower". One of the issues was it doesn't fog up just gets wet. Our answer is lock the door. I must say however it makes the bathroom look great! I would pick it again.

• youngdeb
    13 years ago

Ours doesn't fog up that much, so...I lock the door. My kids can give me 15 minutes to shower in peace, I deserve that much! As for DH, he might as well get a good look, it's all downhill from here.

We clean ours once a week or so with hand soap. I know, weird, but try it...it's perfect. suds it up, rinse it off, squeegee...looks perfect.

• CheriPatrice
    13 years ago

Love Billl's comment. I think you will get used to the clear class, although if you don't, and still miss that cozy closed-in feel, you can do the peel and stick they make for windows or the towel thing another poster mentioned. Perception is reality, and if you feel exposed, even if you are behind a locked door, then that's how you feel--it's your reality, there's no right or wrong. Thankfully for these boards, you get lots of creative ideas to help resolve the issue at hand.

• lee676
    13 years ago

Do not get clear glass unless:

1) You either don't mind cleaning it after almost every use, or don't mind it looking noticeably unclear (especially in hard water - or is it soft water? - areas), and

2) You don't mind other people using the bathroom sink when you're showering seeing you in the nude. It will NOT fog up. Likewise if you're the person using the sink when someone else is in the shower.

I've shared my bathroom for the last 5 year with *roommates*, not family members, and you can bet some of them appreciated having an opaque shower curtain...

Clear shower enclosures can open up a small room and show off elegant tile work in the shower if you have it, so I don't mean this to be a blanket condemnation of clear glass.

• cjc123
    13 years ago

Something I did was switch our master bath shower curtain to a clear liner with no decorative curtain. It has taken some getting use to - however, I now am more careful about making sure I have that bar of soap, or razor in the shower with me so I don't have ANY reason to call in my son's to assist(NO more of that! LOL)And they have learned to talk to me through the door if they can't wait the 10 minutes until I'm out. Hubby never made a comment about the switch except that it was brighter in the shower which is nice.
    I figured this was a good thing to try out "I see me/you" prior to the remodel so that I don't "freak" about the exposed feeling and can enjoy the glass for all it's clear beauty.
    Can't wait till we have saved enough to get the master done!! ;-)

• paige16
    13 years ago

It depends on whats inside the shower when you're not in it. I doubt you'll invite company in while taking a shower. If you like your interior then clear is the way to go but if not then I would do an artistic glass as a nice accent.

• parkplaza
    13 years ago

How old are the kids wondering into the bathroom to ask questions? OK if they are tiny tiny, but at some point, they are too old for this, so the issue goes away being they should be respecting ones privacy.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

there is something psychological happening, when people ask or comment about how they feel, in a glass shower... i can't put my finger on it exactly but i think people are projecting the embarrassment they might feel if hypothetically someone entered... and that this "Potential For Embarrassment" then becomes a permanent concern so they feel embarrassed even when they are alone (!). Then, they become concerned that guests will feel embarrassment, too. Perhaps they are also worried that "people" will find them to be too exhibitionist. ALL This is Happening just because the shower is enclosed by glass. Of course, many will deny that this might be happening inside their head.

--

There are countless solutions to counter the "overly open" feeling. Here is one example: glass can be partially frosted, in sections.

• gardenmom
    13 years ago

We have double frameless glass doors on our double shower. I love it. The guy we bought the door from recommended a product called TPC 16 Surface Protection. It sprays on clear and I just wipe it and let dry; need to keep the exhaust fan on because it smells a bit. Water simply beads up on the door and we squeegee it off.
    I also use this product on my clear smoky glass bowl sinks. It's stopped the hard water spots.
    As for privacy - after 40 years of marriage and a few kids, there ain't none! In fact the double shower was great back pre-retirement. That's the only time we had to discuss the day's activities, who would be home first to start dinner, etc.

• ncamy
    13 years ago

I love david's answer above. I think that is exactly how I feel about glass showers. In my old house we had a large glass shower and I was so nervous about showering in there that I used to shower in the dark. Strangely enough my DH used to frequently shower with me because we had the same job and shared the same schedule. So I'm not really sure who I was afraid was going to "see" me. It was just a feeling.

I must have issues though because I feel the same way about coming home to the mountains (where I live) versus being in the flatlands. I feel embraced and protected by the mountains while I feel exposed and vunerable in flat wide open spaces.

Definitely a psychological thing.

• cienza
    13 years ago

We LOVE our clear glass shower! We don't have a door on the bathroom; the doorway leads thru the laundry area and into the bedroom. My husband enjoys the 'freedom' he has without it. I enjoy it too; really opened up the space and flows alot better too. We aren't young, and we nor do we gave kids at home. When our daughter(s) & grandson are over, we just close off the bedroom area to give them privacy from us. Our only change to the room would be make the enclosure larger so we'd have a bit more room to move around in there!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I've only had clear doors for a few months and I loved them until the water bureau switched to ground water (instead of mountain lake water) temporarily and now they are covered with minerals that I have not been able to get off. I chose clear glass because I wanted to see our new tile and because the bathroom is small and I wanted to open it up visually. Had hideous old frosted glass doors for the previous fifteen years. No one lives here but DH and I so privacy isn't an issue. DH looks almost as old and fat as I do ;) Our doors do fog up so far though even with the fan running.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Clear glass shower enclosures definitely cause privacy concerns.

I'd add the plastic film that turns it into frosted glass. It can be removed later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Privacy concerns with glass shower door

• jddar
    12 years ago

I don't understand such exaggerated hyper-modesty. I'd be more ashamed if shame inordinately controlled my life. Why should it matter if your children or other family members see you nude? Perhaps those affected by this might consider a crash course in behavior modification--the whole family spending an afternoon or two at a nude beach might help.

• tuesdayschild
    12 years ago

I guess I'm the outlier on this discussion. I really dislike my glass clear glass shower. Ok I'll confess that the biggest yech for me is poor design (not the shower's fault, the builder's) -- the door bangs into the toilet. Loudly. Every time anyone exits the shower. One day it will break. Loudly. I will cheer. Loudly. And get myself a nice cotton shower curtain that 1) is not cold 2) does not require weird sprays daily/weekly to keep from crusting up (I do care that it looks yucky but I loathe the idea of cleaning daily or squeegeeing/wiping after showering -- I have enough trouble finding the time to do what I like doing let alone what I hate doing) 3) Will let me periodically take it down, throw it in the wash w/ the towels and bleach the heck out of it and not otherwise worry about it 4) does not have me suddenly worrying about what personal care products I've left "on display" when an acquaintance goes to powder her nose.

I was actually searching the forum for advice on how to remove glass showers and their frames! What I really *do* like is my big clear glass window in my shower to the outside (positioned at just above shoulder height) that lets me stand in the shower and look out into the cape jasmine and honeysuckle jungle and the bright blue sky.

• HU-413221420
    2 years ago

I don't like them at all. They're everywhere now, must be a cheap way to put in a shower.

• HU-510107989
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wouldn't have one. Don't like the exposed idea and also not trying to see anyone's junk. Some things seen can't be unseen. If I was a guest in someone's house with a glass shower, I am finding a hotel. There's too many ways to spy and record and too many freaks in this world, but to each his own.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If you have to worry about that in a friend's house, you need different friends. ;-)

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

No … I don’t like them. And this is comes from a person who has 6 of them ( in two different homes). I don’t understand why people think a view into the shower is attractive. My main shower has shampoo & conditioners, , etc. since I shampoo my hair daily. My previous home had ”rain glass” doors, more attractive IMO, not to mention easier to maintain.

• acdclosgatos
    last year

Does anyone have pictures of using curtains outside the glass enclosure?

Curious how it looks.

Has anyone used frosted/ matte privacy film and then removed it because you were in a rental or selling?

Curious how long it lasted, did it get dirty or yellow, how did you clean it, and how well/ easily did it come off?

We are facing the same dilemma regarding clear shower glass enclosures for 2 different showers. I don't want to see any family members showering or be seen.

I don't think it's sexy when people actually really clean themselves with a washcloth/ loofah, shave themselves, use a foot-scrubber, etc. People need privacy to clean their private parts.

I love how people say lock the door etc. The reality is all families are different with different routines. There are bathroom stress times with larger families; especially in homes with only 2 bathrooms.

A cheap way to clean glass shower doors is to dilute DAWN dish soap liquid in a spray bottle. Spray glass and you can use a wet paper towel to rub it all over the glass too. Let it sit 10 to 15 minutes. You can either use a squeegee to get it off or rinse it off and then squeegee the water off or use microfiber towel. Dawn will not cause any damage to the glass or stone tile.

I have seen people adding vinegar to the solution; the amount of vinegar added lessens the wait time and can add a pungent smell if lots of vinegar is added. Vinegar should not be used if you have any natural stone tile.

Note: This Old House uses Dawn dish soap with vinegar & baking soda to clean grout lines and then re-seals the grout.

• Lidror L’Chaim
    last year

I realize this post is LATE, but perhaps it will help someone…. I have a clear glass wall (and no door) in my shower and detest them…. The lack of privacy isn’t really the issue, but the view of the shower interior is extremely annoying….. No matter how much you clean, no matter how pretty your tile is, no matter if you’ve switched-out your standard shampoo bottles for something fancier; no matter if your body brushes, shower cleaner, etc. are neat and organized, it’s STILL an ugly shower…. My home is a new construction, so I currently have bigger priorities, but if the cost isn’t prohibitive, I would like to eventually raise the tile/Sheetrock wall (that supports the shower glass) to about 6-7 feet and then top the tile/Sheetrock wall with glass (to allow for natural and artificial light)…. Hope this helps!

• acdclosgatos
    last year
    last modified: last year

Lidror L’Chaim- Thanks for the input about reality. I went to look at our current bathtub & shower stall. I have to agree they are nowhere near picture ready with kids body wash & hair care next to my SO's dandruff shampoo. It takes money to buy pretty matching bottles of everything.

I am putting a heavy frost band for the primary shower stall and the guest bath shower stall. I will place them no higher than 16" from the floor since shower benches/ seats are usually 18" from floor. They will end about 56-60" from floor.

I have attached pics so people who in the same dilemma can see some ideas.

The 1st pic has a lighter frost band which provides less privacy compare to the heavier frost on the 2nd & 3rd shower pictures.

If you have a bathroom that's always clean & organized like this and you don't care about seeing hairy cracks or private parts then clear glass will work for your home.