SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdfacc_gw

Architect versus Designer (Bigkahuna, Macv, other opinions)

mdfacc
14 years ago

I'd like to read opinions about the value added by an architect relative to a designer. An architect will charge much more. What does the extra money buy, and is that worth the price?

I hired an architect in 2003 back when I knew nothing about homebuilding. The architect was experienced, local, and his practice was primarily residential. He charged an hourly rate, and he drew attractive front, back, and side elevations as well as basic floor plans before suggesting that we consult with a builder.

We walked the property with the builder who knew immediately that the house would not fit on the lot while satisfying setback requirements. The architect looked dumbfounded. I was out $1365 and lost confidence in the architect.

I abandoned that project, but would like to build now. There is a local designer with 25 years of experience who has provided house plans for most of the local builders. He charges $1.25/sf. That will come to $3000 for a 2400 sf house (with high-end finishes), substantially less than an architect will charge.

I've already devoted many hours of thought to the floor plan, kitchen/bath/DR/Study/GR designs, etc. I'm sure an architect would suggest things that I haven't considered which might improve upon my ideas, but the designer will have useful ideas as well, and should be able to draw buildable plans from my work.

The designer also has experience building homes, so he might have insight into construction costs that would save me money through design elements. I'd like plans detailed enough for a competitive bidding process, but I may decide to act as GC myself. Do you have advice for me?

Comments (28)