SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Chosing interior colors and I'm stumped

brutuses
16 years ago

I posted on the decorating forum also, but thought I'd ask y'all since you are also having to make paint color choices for entire houses at one time. A task I'm finding very daunting to say the least.

I was feeling really good as I pulled together all my wall colors, then I start doubting my choice for the guest bath. Months ago I bought some toile fabric for the guest bath shower and window curtains, here's a photo. The background is a dead on match for BM's Yorkshire Tan. Here's my saga. Hope you can help lead me in the right direction.

In chosing the other colors I knew I wanted a cream great rooom/living area and a silver blue master. Those colors led me to the other colors (except for the YT). All my other colors flow beautifully together. They are Rich Cream, Cashmere Gray (a pale green) Misty (a silver blue), Silver Sage, and Silver Marlin, another darker silver blue/green. Then at the end I go to find the paint to match the toile and come up with the Yorkshire Tan. It as a dead on match, but I thought at full strength if was too dark so I had them lighten it by 50%. It actually is a little too light but, I'm afraid if I darken it, the color will clash with all the other colors, which go so well together.

What is your school of thought on making the guest/hall bath "different" from the other rooms? Do you think I'm overreacting and the YT will be OK?

I know I did the wrong thing by buying that toile so early on in the process, but it was so pretty and only one store had it so I thought I'd better get it before it was dicontinued.

I wanted the guest bath to have a "wow" factor since that's one of the rooms all the guests will see. My first design inspiration was that room. I don't know if you remember but, I purchased an antique dresser to turn into a vanity, the floors will be basket weave or hex and the lighting fixtures are antique replica's in a dark finish. See where I'm going? Then, because I had it in my head to have a silver blue master, I think I've actually split the decorating style in the house. That's what happens when you like more than one style I suppose. LOL

This is what I hate about designing. I'm going along fine, feeling confident and then I hit a wall and don't know enough about the "rules", etc. to go on and then get brain freeze and panic!!

I know the color and entire room on their own are very pretty. My concern is will it "flow." I think I was better off before I tried to do it all "perfect." Thanks for your help on this one. If I can get through this paint selection without all my hair falling out, I'll be happy.

I hate to not be able to use the toile as I have yards and yards of it. Ugh!! If nothing else I suppose I could just paint the walls white and the toile would still be pretty. It't not so much the toile that's bothering me, it's the wall color. OK, I'll quit rambling. Thanks for your help.

Comments (9)