SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharkgirl2000

Still stumped about LR paint color

Iowacommute
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So I tried BM Revere Pewter, Edgecomb Gray, and a few other similar colors. I think it was Edgecomb Gray which is really close to my trim color so maybe that is part of my problem because I like crisp whites. I have a gallon of BM Advance in Simply White so may try that.

I really wanted to like these colors, but I just don't think they work in our space. To give a recap the LR is 15'6 at the peak and open to the kitchen/DR above. The LR has three windows and faces East.

I want this room to feel comfortable and cozy. I want to sit on the sofa with DD and read a book while we're waiting for the school bus and have family gatherings in this room. The Christmas tree will go in front of the windows (I think I can get a 10' in there ;)

I am also working on the fireplace by taking off the tiny trim, mudding over to make it smooth, and will build a bigger mantle. I also will replace the FP tile with slate slabs.

Here is a picture of the LR. It is sunny today, and there are no lights on.

The darker, bigger square above the sheetrock is Revere Pewter and the one to the left is Edgecomb Gray. I think the Revere Pewter just seems so...brown.

Here is a link from my previous post for help http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4201974/blank-canvas-for-open-floorplan

Cozy Living Room · More Info

The above pic is my inspiration pic in the the older thread because I love the coziness.

Interior Painting · More Info

Domicile id · More Info

These two other rooms are very nice and cozy. I'm afraid of darker color for the tall walls but am willing to try. DH said he really wants color on the walls after I broke down and said to paint everything white.

Okay so I have also realized there is a good amount of brown in the other two pics just not on the walls.

Also we scraped the popcorn ceilings but still have to paint them. We get our new windows and doors next Monday and Tuesday. Then we can install the red oak hardwoods which will be a matte, natural color. Our new siding and gutters should be on in two weeks.

I really appreciate the help. We have been going non stop since we bought in July, and it would be huge to be able to buy a sofa for Christmas.

ETA: If anyone has suggestions for comfortable 'color' I'm all ears. DH is afraid of too much beige.

Comments (19)