SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melrosgirl

Shower Upgrade - Too Much Money for Small Shower?

melrosgirl
14 years ago

We have started to re-do our master bathroom. Our house is only a few years old and when we built it, the master bathroom is the only room I didn't upgrade. It most likely doesn't match up to the "quality" of most of the other houses in my neighborhood.

So recently we ripped out the white hospital looking tile surround and the white vinyl floor and replaced it with very nice tile. Made a huge difference. So as you all know, one things leads to another and we decided maybe we should upgrade the shower also bc now it doesn't flow with the new tile.

Our shower is small. A stand up shower stall (one piece) that only fits one person.

We have priced out how much it would cost to re-do the shower stall. I'm just not sure if it's "worth it" bc we aren't gaining much except a tiled shower.

To rip out the shower stall, replace it with tile from floor to ceiling, add new fixtures and a nice solid glass door, we are looking at around $5,000. Just for the shower. It will increase the shower size about 6 inches on one side and just a couple of inches on two other sides. So not a huge change.

Will it look better? Yes. Will it be upgraded to match some other houses in the neighborhood? Yes. But will it look like a $5,000 shower? I don't think so. Not based on some pictures I've seen here. I feel like we should upgrade it so the bathroom flows well with the tile in the tub and on the floor.

(Based on our estimates, we show the tile itself about $800, tile labor $1800, door $1200, plumbing $600, fixtures ??) Does this seem like too much money for just a small shower? Or does it sound reasonable, all things considered? Thank you!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor