SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atsmith_gw

Is this tub too small for shower?

atsmith
16 years ago

We are putting in a tub/shower combo (no room for seperate shower) and want a rectangular, very simple tub. We have it narrowed down to:

the

Porcher Tetsu 5' soaker

or the

{{gwi:1465174}}

The Metro2 interior width is 27 5/8" at top, 23.5" at bottom, but the installed width is 42" because it has an extra 8" of horizontal surface on one long side (that is where there is space to put the shelves you see in the pic). Since we have a tight space to begin with, we are considering the Tetsu because it is only 32" wide installed - but that takes the interior measurements down to 24" at the top and 18.5" at the bottom, which is considerably narrower. Do you think the Tetsu is too narrow for use as a shower? Is the Metro2 even big enough? It occurs to me that with that big slope on the short end, you would end up standing pretty far back in the tub, but is it too far? I can't see either tub in person at this point. . .no showrooms carry them locally.

Also, we are planning on tiling in the tub in an alcove, with a frameless shower door to protect the shower side of the tub (but that can swing flush with the wall when not needed). With the Metro2, if installed as an undermount, does that mean that we could opt not to have that extra 8" of flat surface - maybe cut it back and tile it in evenly all the way around? Sorry if that is a dumb question. . .but I would love to take advantage of the interior width but not have to give up the room for the installed width.

I know these tubs are not ideal for the shower/tub combo, but our contractor will take the precautions necessary in installing. . .and MTI at least says using the tub in this way does not affect their warranty.

Greatly appreciate any input - I have been scouring the boards as the project has been started and we are frantically trying to settle on our decisions so as not to hold up progress. . .

Thanks!

Comments (11)