SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyleroad

Newbie with plan critique request

hoyleroad
15 years ago

Hi all....long-time lurker, new poster. I've already learned bunches and am excited at the amount of thoughtful feedback you all provide. I now come to you with my own plan critique request, as my eye hasn't quite yet caught all of the details and sticking points the way you do.

First, some background about us...we're a family with 3 kids six and under and probably another one within one to two years or so. We've got a large extended family that gets together quite often, hence the size of home we're considering. We own 10 mostly-cleared acres in the country in northeastern Ohio, but don't necessarily want to build a "country" house as it seems that's all we're seeing these days. House will face south and the lot requires both septic and a well. (We'll also need to build a bridge to get ourselves and builders across a creek to drive to the site, but that's another topic.)

At any rate, after reviewing thousands of plans and talking with designers and architects, we've found a plan that we really like. It's at http://www.houseplanguys.com/plan_details.asp?id=31045, or you can use the link below.

Off the bat, I can say that we don't really like the office/laundry room setup, but I think that can easily enough be changed to realign/extend the mud room or make the office/laundry room area more of a laundry/sewing room. I also am challenging whether or not the laundry even needs to be located there, since it's quite a haul from the bedrooms.

We've also carefully considered the MBR down/kids' rooms up question, and for the time being I think we're ok with being a floor away from them. We both grew up in Cape Cods where the parents slept downstairs with the kids upstairs, so I think we know much of what we're in for there.

Our main non-negotiable is that we don't want a formal LR - we'd rather use the space for a large kitchen + great/family room. I know that there will be more caveats that I've forgotten about, but I'll promise to throw them out there as soon as I remember.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan

Comments (12)