SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_socal

Anyone love their polished nickel fixtures?

cindy_socal
16 years ago

I love the look of polished nickel -- everytime I see it I just fall in love over again. There's not as much to choose from and some of it is very pricey, but I think I can do it.

Any words of wisdom or comments? Has anyone regretted putting polished nickel in their baths? Anyone still love it after a few years?

Would love to hear your experience...

Comments (30)

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

I just put it in so my vote doesn't count but I love it. Polished nickel has been around for a very long time and I wanted to use it because it was appropriate for an older home. (also b/c I like staring at shiny things :)

• deegeegirl
    16 years ago

Haven't had polished nickel long, but I do love the look and glad we got it. Polished nickel has a wonderful warmth to it whereas chrome is a colder look. We put chrome in other bathrooms but used polished nickel in the MB and the powder room. That was a way to save some money.

• Related Discussions

Anyone seen something like this but in polished nickel or chrome?

Q

Comments (2)
    hmm that's weird. when I try to select a nickel finish, it's not a clickable option. I googled Hinkley Knickerbocker in nickel or in chrome and the same brass one shows up. Anyone know whether all their fixtures could be ordered in any of their finishes or do only certain fixtures come in certain finishes?
    ...See More

Thoughts on all Polished Chrome fixtures, but Nickel Sconces?

Q

Comments (1)
    Lot’s of the nickel finishes I see are very close to looking like chrome and some manufacturer’s polished nickel has a lot more yellow. It all depends. You could do more of a pewter finish for your sconces. If you do a search here on Houzz for “Industrial polished chrome sconces”, there are lots that are along the lines of what you’re looking for. Here’s one as an example....
    ...See More

Help! Hardware & lighting-satin nickel vs. polished nickel?

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, I think you can mix it. I don't think you would have any problem at all doing that. ....silver is silver. ... is silver. I have a brushed satin double sink, and a shiny Delta faucet....never thought twice about it... It's silver. It works. It's paid for. LOL And your lights are not near your kitchen faucet. I have a ceiling recessed light above my kitchen sink(recessed into over head cabinets that hang down 30 inches from my ceiling)...it only came with a white square frame at the time... I have cut glass ceiling 'salad bowl' style kitchen fixtures, with shiny brass edge and middle mount to match my other ceiling fixtures in my open den. It all works to make light for my family. Shiny, Brushed, Silver, Gold, Crystal, Glass, it all makes a house. And the tax man thinks it's a castle! LOL
    ...See More

DXV Platinum Nickel vs Polished Nickel

Q

Comments (1)
    I found using a chrome trap worked just fine with polished nickel fixtures since they are not seen very close together and for sure saved money.
    ...See More
  • cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mrslimestone and deegeegirl, would you tell me what brand/style you got?

The warmth and shininess are what appeal to me too. ;-)

• deegeegirl
    16 years ago

We used Perrin & Rowe from Rohl for the two MB sinks, the floor mount tub filler w/ handheld sprayer and the MB shower with thermostatic shower, a handheld sprayer there too and body sprays. In the PR we did the same for the faucet set. We also used RH for our towel rings, towel bars, glass shelves, wall-mounted soap dishes, and a few mirrors. For our light fixtures, we used Norwell. The PN matched very well, across the board.

• fnzzy
    16 years ago

I'd had polished nickel accessories (towel holders, TP roll) in my bath and they were there for a few years and still looked pristine when we removed them at demo, and so we saved everything for the new bath. They were actually a mistake purchase (dh was supposed to get chrome) but I loved them when I got them home so they stayed. AND, fwiw, they looked fine with chrome and they looked even nicer with satin nickel.
    So to me, it all worked. And they were just run of the mill off the shelf Home Depot stuff.

• angie1010
    16 years ago

I just got my new bathroom and have brushed nickel not polished. I regret that since it shows the water spots. Hopefully polished nickel doesn't do that. Good luck. Angie

• shannonplus2
    16 years ago

I have polished nickel faucets and towel bars in my master bath from Rohl. After 3 years, they still look great. I have polished nickel faucets and towel bars in my guest bath from Newport Brass. Afte 2 years, they still look great. I love both of these manufacturers, although the Newport Brass had a long lead time. Worth the wait though. I have a polished nickel showerhead from Kohler in my guest bath. It is very clearly not as nice as the Rohl or Newport Brass. The Kohler polished nickel finish is a little "muddy" in color, and although it has held up well, it hasn't gotten a lot of use in my guest bath, but still looks a bit dingy. If the Kohler showerhead was used more, and was on display more, I'd switch it out for another brand. Given its little use, it's OK to stay.

• jameskyflny
    16 years ago

We put PN everything in our MB and love it -- shower unit and faucets from Perrin & Rowe match perfect to med cabinets, sconces, and towel bars from RH; the toilet lever from Kohler is a little darker but you can hardly see it. walls and floor are Carrera marble which is great with the PN -- looks like the Meurice bathrooms. Have another bathroom where we put in PN five years ago and still looks like new.

• plants4
    16 years ago

Nickel plating is not as bad for the environment as chrome plating. Does that make it easier for you to spend extra money? If so, use that fact!

I picked this fact up from Schoolhouse Electric (lighting -- all made in the USA).

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm glad to hear that the various brands seems to coordinate with each other. I've decided I'm not going for the completely matching look.

I will have a Kohler shower/tub spout, and hopefully a Hansgrohe lav faucet. The room is L-shaped so they will not be next to each other, but the styles are similar and I think the color will be okay. I just ordered a Ginger grab bar, as it was the closest I could find in PN. I found a series of PN accessories at Lowes - brand is Andrews I believe - very nice styling and good weight. I bought a robe hook to try out with the other items and it seems fine. I will wait until the faucets are in before I decide.

Still would like a PN triple sconce, so I may end up with Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn. I don't care for their hooks as much but don't want too much variation.

It has been a challenge finding polished nickel items that I like, but I think it will be worth it. I love the look and can't wait to see it every day.

• debbie_2008
    16 years ago

this is going to sound stupid, but is polished nickel the finish that looks like very very very light brass or gold?

• shannonplus2
    16 years ago

Cindy_Socal, I wanted to make sure I was clear in my previous message. While my Rohl and Newport Brass polished nickel fixtures are lovely and match/coordinate with each other, my Kohler polished nickel showerhead is muddy-looking, and does not match the polish of the other two. Since it is a showerhead, and not that visible, I don't mind. I just wanted to make sure you knew that since you said you were getting Kohler polished nickel.

Debbie 2008 - polished nickel does not at all look like light brass or gold. Polished Nickel finish is nickel plating that is then polished. Nickel looks similar to chrome in that they both have silver tones, with nickel having a warmer tone. I've linked to a Restoration Hardware faucet shown in polished nickel, so that you can see what it looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Faucet in Polished Nickel

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Shannonplus2, thanks for the note about Kohler -- you were clear above, so don't worry. We are stuck with the Kohler for the shower/bath because of the valve type & availability -- I know the finish (and the style as well) isn't as nice. I'm hoping it won't be noticeable. The Kohler polished nickel I've seen looks fine -- do you think yours darkened or changed, or is it that the actual hue of the nickel finish is a muddy nickel?

I'm compromising on a couple of things in this bath, and will hold out for what I really want in the master bath. ;-)

• hamster
    16 years ago

This is interesting in that my DH wants BN and I want chrome so thinking PN would be a compromise, I asked to see it at the local bath remodel center/showroom. They said they used to carry it in DANZE and they could hardly give it away. They don't stock it anymore. Any ideas why this would be? Is the DANZE PN not so pretty? I could order a piece but then we have the restocking issue.
    Diane

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

Polished nickel, to me, is one of the nicer finishes. I think it was deegee that wrote that it has a warmth that chrome does not have, and I agree.

The only failure I've ever seen was with sconces from Rejuvenation. In a bathroom they spotted after a few years. They relaced them free of charge after I moaned and groaned a bit.

I think PN is one of the prettiest finishes out there.

Mongo

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, Polished Nickel is beautiful -- look at the Restoration Hardware link above, and also at Mrs. Limestone's gorgeous bathroom. You can probably see it in person at the nicer plumbing showrooms (not usually at HD or Lowes). It is nothing like the satin or brushed nickel. The color is much warmer than chrome, but is not brassy.

Danze has some polished nickel, but it's not my favorite. I love the Hansgrohe, Jado, Graff, Newport Brass -- Kohler has a few styles as well. Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware carry it.

• hamster
    16 years ago

Cindy
    I did look at the pics online and they do look very pretty. The problem is I don't have much option as to seeing them in person without buying online and I am not excited about that due to the hassle/expense of returns. The bathroom remodel place I called is 90 miles away. I was more than willing to drive down and check them out but they don't carry them because of lack of interest. So that gives me pause.
    Diane

• jameskyflny
    16 years ago

Diane
    If you guys are considering BN and chrome (polished I assume) PN is not a good compromise -- much warmer than either, BUT it is MORE beautiful and a really good option, especially for a house built before 1925. Chrome came about around 1925 and was used like crazy for sanitary reasons after that date, almost always polished.
    If you can forget the BN and PC, PN is great -- historical and beautiful. I've used it a lot and have always been happy with it. Harder to find, and you will (or at least, I did) want ALL of your fixtures in the same finish or you'll look like you cheated. Including the water supply lines and the P-trap and etc etc...

• hamster
    16 years ago

Jameskyflyny...I would love to forget the BN and chrome.. LOL. I am so sick of looking online I could puke! It seems everywhere I turn (even the plumber) I hit a road block. All I hear is "Moen or Delta is the best, most trustworthy." Well, I can get that at HD or Lowes. I am looking for something different. Then I get nervous that maybe they are right and I will be ripping out my new tile because I have bought for looks and not quality when all I hear is "We don't sell this or that because blah, blah, blah...."
    I am going to get back on the phone and see if there is some place (the nearest is 90 miles for any sort of showroom) that I can see the PN in person.
    Sorry Cindy...I've encroached.
    Diane

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I think the chances of you ripping out your tile are really slim unless it was a bad installation. Less expensive tile may be more difficult to install if it is uneven and not flat but not ALL less expensive tile has those problems. You might hear some talk about how the glazes are thinner on less expensive tile or something like that but honestly I have never seen even the cheapest white 4x4 look bad. If there are water issues (ie problem with installation) then the tile might fall off the wall or something, and of course grout seems to get grungy over time, but I've never seen a problem with the actual tile itself. With that in mind I had no problem going with extremely inexpensive tile from the big box stores.

My home depot has a kohler display that has finish samples of their various finishes, including polished nickel. It's not a full faucet, just metal "buttons" to show the different finishes, but maybe yours has this thing too so you can at least see what it looks like.

I think you would find that around here the opinion of delta and moen are quite different - they are not the best and in fact if you buy them at the big box stores they may be among the worst (moen in particular I have read has two lines of faucets - one for big box and one for other stores). If you find a faucet you love, post to ask about the brand here and people will tell you what they know.

• hamster
    16 years ago

I know..I know..I was in brain overload last night. I will pull up my boot straps and get back at it this am.
    thanks

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, do you have an Expo around you? It's Home Depot's luxury store and worth the trip to look. They have a lot of the polished nickel on display. How about other showrooms? My Lowe's doesn't have any polished nickel faucets on display, but they do have two brands of polished nickel accessories. One is Andrews and the other is Gatwick; both are pretty nice and I'm probably buying the Andrews hooks & tp holder. Do you have a Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn in a mall anywhere near you? They have it too.

Honest, I always loved the look online, but once I saw the finish in person next to the brushed nickel and chrome, there was no turning back. I will compromise everywhere else, but my metal will be polished nickel!

• hamster
    16 years ago

Well, Cindy...the nearest EXPO is @ 600 miles. The closest PB is 175 miles. I will check again on Saturday when I travel 90 miles to the nearest HD/Lowes. I called 2 bath showrooms and they don't carry any because of lack of interest. I am waiting on the 3rd and final. I may just order a faucet online. I am finding that there aren't many in PN with one handle. If you had to choose PN, would you go with ROHL or KOHLER? Around here, when I ask, I get very strange responses. It appears no one here is very adventurous! This is not the first road block in my bath makeover. It all started with the panasonic fan and has gone downhill since! Everywhere I turn it is a dead end. Very frustrating. The supply house people (that my plumber goes to) recognizes my voice when I call. LOL
    Diane

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You make me appreciate living in a suburban area! We have great weather and lots of stores, but way too many people....sorry, digression there.

I'm assuming you've combed the area for upscale plumbing showrooms. You may have to buy off the internet, since your area is not a polished nickel capital!

I would prefer Rohl by far, better quality etc. But I am putting in a Kohler shower/tub faucet in PN, because the valve type was a better choice for us and it was easily available. One of my compromises to keep everyone happy. I'm hoping I like it. The Rohl faucets look very nice.

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

After reading your post I would like to make a suggestion. It seems to me that you live in an area that has a very limited selection of products. The internet is a great tool for finding items that we can't get locally. That being said it may be to your advantage to use a common but reliable brand like Delta, Kohler or Moen. Plumbing fixtures are only as good as the plumber who installs them . If your plumbing supply stores are pushing these brands it's because they are experienced with installing them and fixing them. Also, down the road if you need a repair will you be able to get the part for a Rohl or something from Restoration Hardware. The lavatory faucet can be changed fairly easily but the tub shower plumbing is a different story. I have had good experience over the years with both Delta and Kohler faucets. My parents have the original Delta faucet in one of their bathrooms that the builder installed in 1962. Over the years my father has only had to change the washers and that was not often. I think the faucet has far pasted being out dated and has moved into the retro catagory.
    Someone in the kitchen forum posted a link for faucet ratings I don't know if you saw it but I am going to post it here. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: faucet ratings

• iamnodiy
    16 years ago

My post was directed to Hamster

• hamster
    16 years ago

iamnodiy..you must have read my mind! I am thinking Rohl for the faucet and something "local" for the shower. I am on the same page as you are. I order online often but when it comes to the guts of my shower, I get scared off.
    Cindy...what Kohler are you going with? I kinda like the Purist. But then again, with one lever faucet, I am limited.
    thanks
    Diane

• cindy_socal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diane, I am using a more traditional theme in our bath than you. We're using the Bancroft in PN finish for the shower/tub combo. I was thinking originally about a one-lever faucet, but wasn't crazy about the selection, so we're using an adjustable widespread that isn't too large. It's by Hansgrohe and is slightly different from the Kohler, but I think it will coordinate just fine.

• hamster
    16 years ago

Cindy...Our bath is traditional also but I kinda like the purist faucet. Again, I don't have much choice with PN - one lever. Maybe there is good reason? My kitchen has the fairfax in the chrome. I really like the Purist shower head. I might just end up with a mixed bag. I guess the word is "eclectic"? LOL
    Thanks for all your help. I will be watching for your final showing!
    Diane

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH