SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Tile contractors comments re: Kerdi and steam shower

shannonaz
16 years ago

Hi guys! More steam shower help needed...I want to make sure my steam shower is installed well...these are the the comments from the tile contractor...thoughts? Does it sound like I will get a good install from them even if they don't use Kerdi? Here is the response I got:

I have checked out the site links you have sent me and have a few concerns. This schluter product does look like a good system, but here are my concerns, you have the look of a mastic installation (tile installed directly to the drywall/green board) and it mentions several times to use unmodified thinnest. When installing porcelain you must use a latex modified thinnest or the bond will break within 30 days and I myself have witnessed this happening. The Hydro guard 2000 is the material that I use to treat any joints in the showers that I install. When I do a "mud" installation or 1/2" cement board, I still cover the entire area including the shower floor with Hydro guard 2000. When I use the Den shield material (glass mat backer board) I treat all screw holes and joints with Hydro guard 2000. For a steam shower I would do the mud installation method and then coat the entire area with fiber mesh and Hydro guard 2000.

Thanks so much for any and all help!

Comments (6)