SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Would you take some bathrooms out to increase storage?

igloochic
14 years ago

I'm just dithering here as DH and I decide how to remodel our new victorian home. One idea that crossed my mind was to remove a few bathrooms and use the areas for storage and other purposes. I know removing a bathroom isn't normally a great idea for resale...but keep in mind I have 12 of them! 11 are full baths.

So one is in our master closet (which is an old bedroom we will be converting back to it's original use as a dressing room). That one and the one in the master suite will become one bathroom at the end of the suite.

But there are two more I'm considering removing. One is in our basement, a full bath, off what will be the wine cellar. I'm thinking of putting in a stackable washer and dryer for use with the sewing room where the tub is and perhaps removing the rest of the bathroom....after all do you need a rest room for the celler specifically? I don't need that space....which is why I am musing about it, but I also don't want a toilet that isn't used just sitting around waiting to develop a leak and of course it still needs to be cleaned regularly even if it's not used. There is another full bath on this floor off of the play room. I could even make an enterance to this other bath from the wine room because they butt up against each other....what do you think?

Then there's the servants bathroom (we don't have servants LOL) up on the fourth floor. Another full bath that has been used for the maids cleaning supplies (when the house was a B&B). It's sort of decommissioned right now but I think we need to either remove it or make it usable again so we don't have issues with sewer gas from the unused and partially dry toilet. I could also do a stackable up there where the shower is and then make the rest into a storage area for linens and other stuff we want to store but still have access to (ie luggage). We do have guests a lot so a laundry on the guest floor would be a nice convenience, but I am going to have one large one on the 2nd floor so I won't be hauling laundry miles (from top to bottom anyhoo)

This would leave me with 9 bathrooms (am I doing that math right) and I don't think it would effect resale because the bathrooms aren't off of bedrooms. Each bedroom in the house (six) would have it's own full on suite bath still. None of the baths are original to the house so I lose no historical value in removing them either....

SO is it the ultimate luxury to have a laundry on each floor? Or a bathroom around every corner? What would you do?

Comments (20)