SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christmasbaby_gw

We're in Hospice care now

christmasbaby
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a while. People were so helpful when I asked about leaving my 93 year old Mom home alone for short times and I also asked about ideas to keep her active. I haven't had much time to post since things have changed here with Mom's care.

Back in June, Mom fell while getting up to use the potty chair right next to her. She knew she wasn't allowed to get up alone, but thought she could do it. We heard a loud crash and found her half way across the room on the floor. She ended up fracturing the first thoracic vertebra and hitting her head hard. It did not involve the spinal cord, but there was pain. I must say looking back, that the hospital didn't give us a good idea of what to expect; didn't even put a collar on her to go home after the ER visit. We had trouble with pain meds messing her up with hallucinations and weird stuff, so we stopped them and used acetaminophen.

She had Home Health Care physical and occupational therapists and started to make some progress. Then she plateaued and needed O2 for low oxygen levels. Confusion got worse and over the course of the last three months has gone down hill rather sharply. On Sept.28, the exact 7 year anniversary of us moving her in, she entered Hospice care. Her dementia is very severe now. We have a hoyer lift since she is no longer strong enough to walk the 5 steps, with 2 people supporting her, to the bed.

She has crawled over and around the bed rails in trying to act out the vivid dreams she was having. In August, she was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea and we tried a bi-pap machine. She tolerated it some and when she did wear it, we saw an improvement in the mental and physical energy. I wasn't getting much sleep because she would knock it loose at night and I would readjust it several times during the night. We finally decided that it was causing more problems than it was helping.

In the last week she has cut down eating greatly, only taking in soft foods. I have found Beneprotein, which is a protein powder that has no flavor, so I can add that to anything she will eat. I add Benefiber and Thick-it to get more of what she needs into her.

The hardest part is the mental part...for both of us. It is hard constantly trying to divert her from wanting to go home, asking about her parents, having a house just like this one, but 4 blocks away, that she wants to take her things to and live. She has gotten much more agitated and we have had to increase her meds to control it.

The Hospice doctor told us that if she continues her decline, we probably won't have her for Thanksgiving. DH has been wonderful and I know that it is extra hard on him since I can barely leave her room in the evening.

Comments (7)

Sponsored