SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

We're moving....now what about the roses?

TNY78
10 years ago

Hi all!

I haven't been on in awhile because I've been busy building a new house, taking care of our new farm (we now have llamas, alpacas, mini horses, and a pig), and leaving my job to begin law school (what was I thinking!!!) Anyway, we're about ready to move into the new house over at the farm, which is only about 10 minutes down the road. Over there, we'll have 11 acres, instead of my current one acre (more room for roses and other plants!) It will also give me the opportunity to start over and be able to spread my roses out, rather than crowding them together like I did here...I've learned the hard way that a tiny band sized plant can easily grow to a huge rose in no time at all!

I have about 500 roses, many of which are still potted into 1-3 gallon pots thankfully. The remaining 100-150 are all in the ground. i'm planning to bring the ones that have performed well, have a nice growth habit, and are doing well...which I would estimate at about 75. I want to get them all moved before we put the house up for sale, probably in March. So....my question is, what is the best way to go about it? the one's that are only a year or two old I'm sure I can easily dig up and relocate, no problem....but what about my monsters? I have a 10x10 foot ownroot Boule de Neige & ownroot R. Rugosa Alba that I am in love with. I know I can easily replace them, but they are just stunning. I also have another prob 20 or so that are 6x6-ish that I'd like to bring (a mix of ownroot and multiflora rootstock). Should I just cut them way back and dig? Does it matter if I have to cut the roots? Or should I just cut my losses and leave them here? I would just hate for the new people to mow over them, which is probably what will happen since they're lined up along the fenceline and a pain to maintain. Help!!

thanks for any advice!
Tammy

Comments (19)