SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

A two-story U shaped beachhouse? (x post)

mtnrdredux_gw
11 years ago

DISCLAIMER: We are still trying to resolve a ROW issue in order to close. We won't want to hire an architect until we close, so in the meantime I am playing with ideas on my own. It could all be a total waste of time once we get a professional hired! So please play along at home only if you've absolutely nothing better to do. : )

I was searching Houzz for beach cottage ideas and I came across this dramatic image.

I really like it for a few reasons:

1. If we did a house like this with a stone courtyard in the center, that would not count as the footprint. Since we can only have ~1,400 sq ft for the main house and 450 sq ft for a guesthouse, any outdoor space we can create that is not footprint is a plus.

2. The home is on a bluff and out on a bit of a point, hence windy. Having three sides to our outdoor space will make for a more pleasant, sheltered, room-like feel, and increase the number of days we could use it.

3. In the peak usage period, the summer, I think we would leave a lot of the doors open and it would make the house feel bigger.

4. For oceanfront lot in Southern New England, our lot has tremendous privacy. With this style home, we could have almost total privacy and still have our ocean and cove view.

5. I have done a rough plan that I think would work, and the house is 56 feet wide --- I don't think it would be the end of the world to have to traverse it, the one peeve people have with this style.

6. I know positioning in re the views and the prevailing winds and the path of the sun will be key. We have a lot of flexibility on that, but it will probably make or break the plan..

7. My first choice plan is a simple rectangle with a covered porch across the front. I know this will be significantly more expensive to build ...

Questions

1. Do you hate it? Do you think it will look like a monstrosity? Sometimes (often!) bigger is not better.

2. We want to look New Englandy --- but I think of this style as Modern, Spanish or Italianate. Can we pull it off by making it look like a farmhouse added to over time?

3. Here's the really tough one. Can we make it two story, or will the courtyard feel odd then? The courtyard would be about 24x20 (see draft plan below).

4. Have you seen any images of a U-shaped home that is farmhouse-y? What should I search under?

Thanks in advance.

PS I gather we may not be able to have the BR entrance via the BA. It can easily be changed but I didn't want to create a narrow hallway, and I liked a bath that could be a hall bath too.

Comments (24)