SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_dee14

U-Shape Kitchen Design Problems = Range + Hood + Windows + Cabinets

Jenna Dee
5 years ago

Husband and I are constructing a new build as owner-builders. I have design concerns with the range, hood and windows. Any advice/pictures/input is super helpful!! :-)

Space We Are Working With:Kitchen is 14'8" x 17'2" (exterior measurements). With 6" thick walls, we are working with a space of 13'8" x 16'8" for the kitchen interior. Design is modern/contemporary/southwest and the kitchen is part of an open floor plan with the dining room and great room. On the wall where the 48" dual-fuel range will be are two casement windows (1'6"x5'0" ea.) flanking the range at 50" apart. (See layout pictures below). Island will be rectangle and flat (we removed prep sink/break in the island) and approx. 3' - 3.5' x 10' with cabinets on one side and about 2 - 3 stools that can slide completely under counter on the other side. There is a separate pantry not pictured.

1. Keep the flanking windows 50" apart or expand them or scratch them? The rule of thumb (so I am told) is to have an additional 6" space for the range hood (so 54" preferable). I don't want the hood eating over into the window areas (so a 48" hood/range would just fit the 50" space) and the farther we push the windows out, the more it eats into the available space for the upper cabinets. Is it better to space it farther apart? Is it fine as is? Do we scratch those windows entirely and add transoms below/above the upper cabinets for light?

2. What to do about the range hood? I fell in love with a 48" glass range hood that is now discontinued and sold out (insert sad face) that would have fit perfectly in our modern contemporary design and over the range (pictures below). I cannot seem find a similar hood range at 48" but have found a similar (and cheaper) one at 42" - if the windows next to the stove are casement windows, can I get away with a 42" hood by popping open those windows whenever I am doing some major cooking? Will that just look too weird? Will is completely ruin the function of the hood?

3. Keep upper cabinets to the right of the sink (when facing the sink) or substitute floating shelving? This is purely thought of as a design option - it would open up the space in the kitchen but it would lose the storage. FYI, there is only a 10'6" long wall behind the fridge and freezer space (behind which is a hallway to the guest rooms and to the garage), then the wall will drop down to a pony wall creating either a flat counter-top peninsula or have a slight lip and top molding a few inches above the counter-top to define the space between the hallway and kitchen (have not completely decided on that issue either). So there is no upper cabinetry that will be hung to the left of the freezer/fridge (when facing the freezer/fridge) and it will be open. So if we do floating shelves to the right of the sink, it would work well into the design (I think) but the only storage would the the upper cabinetry in the corners and all the lower cabinetry/island cabinetry. Thoughts?

Comments (7)