SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan3733_gw

Anyone have a Jenn-Air 48' range?

susan3733
15 years ago

Hello,

I was ready to buy a 48" DCS 5-burner w/griddle all gas range off the floor at our local Expo (which is now discounted at 15% off, down to $5411), but when I showed it to my husband yesterday, he had some reservations. He didn't think the finish was all that great (sliding racks could be pulled out and off the tracks instead of fully stopping at the end), and we were disappointed to find that the smaller oven didn't even fit our 9 x 13 baking pan. Also, it doesn't help that we owned a DCS in our last house (36" 6-burner all gas model) and had service problems with it...granted, DCS was responsive, but still, we're a bit hesitant about the brand.

Anyway, my husband's hesitation in buying the range means that we're back to square one. When I went back to review our list of options, I realize that the GE Monogram dual fuel for $7867 is the next probable choice for us. Unfortunately, that pushes us almost $2000 over our total appliance budget, which is not the end of the world and may be worth it if the GE Monogram is such a spectacular product - for example, maybe we would love the dual fuel aspect.

Still, this new situation prompted me to do another quick online search for 48" ranges.

I was surprised to find one that I had not known even existed before. It's the Jenn-Air PRG4810NP, which has 6 burners and a griddle. The 6 dual-stacked burners all have 15,000 BTUs and 2 of them simmer between 570 and 900 BTUs. I can't confirm the type of broiler by looking at it online, but one website mentions it as an infrared broiler. It is an all-gas model, like the DCS, with a convection fan in the larger oven. It can be found for $5399 online. I haven't had a chance to check the price at my local retailer yet but will do so Monday and will also hopefully be able to find it somewhere so I can see it.

This price is significantly less than most of the other "pro" ranges out there, yet the specs seem similar (not exactly as great but similar enough) to most of the pricier models. I believe Consumer Reports has liked Jenn-Air in the past, and it looks like a beautiful piece of equipment so now I'm left wondering why it's not more popular - or at least discussed more frequently as a viable option when researching 48" ranges. Is it just because Jenn-Air doesn't have the cache of some of the other "pro" names or is there a significant difference in performance? We love to cook and we did appreciate the power of the DCS burners when we owned one in the past, but I can't imagine really noticing the difference between the DCS 17,500 BTU burners and the Jenn-Air 15,000 BTU burners.

I'd love to hear more thoughts, opinions or experiences on this. I've searched the forum and found no info on this particular range. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)