SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mockingbird_gw

Caring for aging mom and now DB with cirrohsis

mockingbird
18 years ago

Hello, I have not been here for a while (lurking only) but now I need some help.

My 91 YO mother has been with me for five years with leukhemia and just this week my brother has been diagnosed with advanced cirrohsis of the liver and has nowhere else to go but here too.

I will have to make a bed/sitting room in my living room because he cannot get up the stairs and he will be here tomorrow ! !

My most urget need, besides prayers, is help on nutrition, etc. He has NO appetite and the only thing that can be done, at this point, is stop drinking and eat healthy, well balanced meals.

There is no way that I can know now if he will or can stop drinking or smoking but I know that I can't handle it if he doesn't care enough to try.

Is there anyone here with "first hand knowledge" in dealing with this.

BTW, mother is just getting over, or not, pneumonia and the hospice nurse told me yesterday that she is doing better than she had expected. She has started spitting up fresh blood and I don't know if it is from her lungs or an injury to her delicate skin in her mouth from using the sponge mouth cleaners.

So, here I sit with two dying people and no training.

Thanks for any support. At this point I may just need a place to vent.

Carolyn

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County