SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olchik_gw

Gas vs Induction

olchik
16 years ago

Hi everyone. First of all, I'd like to say thanks for such an amazing forum and all of you who make this a very informative and fun site.

I am in the beginning stages of my kitchen remodel and am trying to decide on a cooktop.

Right now I have an old JennAir electric range with various plates that you can swap out - cooktop, grill, griddle. I hate it - it's old, a pain to clean and (most important) I have no control over my cooking, that is, in order to make an immediate temperature adjustment, I can only move the pan to another burner. Electric heat, you understand ;)

So for the longest time I have been planning on going with a gas cooktop. But reading this site has really made me think about induction. So I have a few questions for you:

1. What are your thoughts on gas vs induction cooking? Can you really get an immediate temperature adjustment with induction like you can with gas? Some people told me you can't, but I trust your opinions more.

2. What are the operating costs of an induction cooktop (electricity) vs gas (electricity/gas)? I know about induction being more efficient than gas, but how much does it cost to operate?

3. What are the downsides of induction (besides the fact that you can't use non-conductive cookware)?

4. If I were to go with gas, would you recommend going with a ceramic top for cleaning? What about open vs closed burners (on stainless, of course)? I have read many opinions here that open burners are easier to clean. This contradicts everything I have heard about sealed burners being easier to clean :)

PS About my cooking style: I like to cook and I occasionally make a few different things at once (or, I'd like to :))

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (25)