SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Cost of using gas vs. induction cooktop

msl511
11 years ago

My head is spinning. Induction sounds terrific. We currently have a gas cooktop and I'm perfectly happy with gas. But induction sounds even better.

The question on the table is whether it is going to cost us more to run an induction cooktop than a gas cooktop, given that electricity is expensive here (Westchester County, NY) and gas isn't so bad. (I have no idea how one compares these things, since they're measured in different units, but this is what my husband says.) And then, if it is going to cost more, whether it's enough to deter us from buying induction.

I was picking up my son from a playdate today and the mom was showing me her appliances, including her induction cooktop, which she adores.

Her husband, who runs some kind of energy company and therefore presumably knows what he's talking about, mentioned something to the effect that they have their oven on their generator, but not the cooktop, because it uses so much energy.

Then I pulled up the specs on a Bosch cooktop for my husband and he saw that it says 40 amps and said that was a lot.

OTOH, in all the many, many posts I've read about induction here, I don't think I've seen anyone comment about skyrocketing electric bills after switching from gas to induction.

I am, I swear, not at all a stupid person, but I find the conversations about electricity entirely confusing.

I have read pretty much everything I can find on this forum about this issue, including a very detailed post from JWVideo (thank you for all the incredible information you share!) from last December full of BTU's and conversions and I still don't feel like I have a clue.

I did see the link someone posted to the michaelbluejay.com website with the calculator, which sort of helps, but it's kind of comparing apples to oranges, since it asks you to plug in how much time you spend running your hobs and at what power, but I assume that even if I cook all the same things, I'll run induction for less time than gas because of the increased speed.

I'm really very confused. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you all so much.

Comments (16)