SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemc227

Struggling with main floor layout...especially stair location

11 years ago

Been enjoying reading all the awesome posts here for a few months as we've been designing a home and have gotten some great ideas. Taking those ideas and designing my own home has been a little more daunting than I expected. (Not to mention most of the stock plans I've found online are very dysfunctional). We're anxious to present something to an architect, but want to figure out what works for us first.

Background info:
Family of 3 with one on the way. Want 3 bedrooms plus an office/guest room. Prefer 1 and 3/4 bath (I hate cleaning bathrooms so I don't want more than that). I'd like an open floor plan on the main floor. After doing a lot of researching and planning, I am pretty much set on the kitchen layout I've created. We do entertain (informally) a lot, so a large dining and living room is important. Ideally i'd like the guest room on the main floor, but we want small bedrooms and only one bathroom on the upper floor, so the upper floor ends up being proportionally much smaller. That may not be a problem in reality, but I do not know how to design it properly with a smaller upper level. To keep costs down, I'd like to keep the house as square as possible and keep plumbing close together. Also, I'd like laundry on the upper floor.

I'm having a really hard time placing the stairs in the upper right corner of the home. We need a door to access the basement there. Also, having the stairs on the main floor lead up to a corner on the upper floor is problematic for me. I have a hard time visualizing how to layout the upper hallway if the entry to the upper floor starts in a corner. I'd love any and all constructive input - thanks!!!

Please note, the software program was giving me trouble with the doors, so the swing direction on some is incorrect.
Here is the main floor layout so far:

And a link just in case:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b39/louj227/mainlayout1_zps0437f0c1.png

This post was edited by temsmama on Thu, Jan 3, 13 at 12:36

Comments (6)