SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avian_gw

GE Profile PFS22SBSBSS advice needed temperature fluctuations??

avian
10 years ago

Looking for advice regarding my 7 1/2 year old GE French Door Refrigerator. The freezer temperature fluctuates anywhere from -2 to 15 or a bit more. It used to do this every now and then but the number of times it does this during a day seems to have increased. The refrigerator temps will also fluctuate but not as much, usually ranging from 36 to 42. When this starts to happen the refrigerator noise increases. I generally know when the temperature is rising because I can hear the noise change. I've also noticed that sometimes there is frost/moisture on the outside of packages in the freezer. I know that there was a main board recall but have no idea if this is the main board or something else. I have called GE and they offered me the main board at a reduced price ($50.00 plus tax and shipping) if I install it myself. They also offered having someone come in to check the refrigerator and fix at 50% discount plus the additional $80-100 for service call. Not sure if I should just buy the board from them and try that, have them send out a GE repair person or just get a new refrigerator. Would appreciate any advice/suggestions? Is the main board easy to replace? Could it be this or something else? I believe that I had the main board replaced several years ago when the refrigerator was still under warranty, but I have read that others have had it replaced once and then it winds up needing to be replaced again. The GE rep told me that I have 7 days to decide what I want to do and I spoke with her Monday 2/24. Also was offered possible compensation/discount towards another GE. I went looking at refrigerators yesterday and would prefer another French Door but not even sure, at this point, which brand is reputable, although I am fairly certain I would not get another GE.

BTW, my refrigerator is one that was included in the main board recall but 2 GE reps told me it wasn't even though I found the copy of the letter that was sent out to technicians regarding this. One rep told me that it didn't matter, at this point, if it was part of the recall because the time had passed for getting a free main board replacement. She did tell me that it does sound like a main board problem.

With automatic defrosters what is the general range of temperatures that one might see? How often does the freezer go through defrost cycle or is this an adaptive cycle and it just varies?

I called an appliance repair person who was recommended to me and he told me that he won't touch any GE refrigerators manufactured from 2000 on because of the electronics and it is best to use a GE repair person. He is not willing to install the board if I purchase it but did say that I could do it myself. He's a repair person and doesn't want to do it but a non repair person can...weird. Did tell me that was a great price because they generally sell for about $300, although I have seen these on Amazon for about $108. Maybe he was pricing it with big markup or adding on the labor??? If the main board is not the problem is it still worth it to buy it at the $50.00 price? I really did not appreciate GE's time constraint and don't get why they just wouldn't leave the offer time opened.

Sorry for the length of my post just wanted to give as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Comments (17)