SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimjanhenry

Quality Appliances Don't Always Stay That Way

jimjanhenry
16 years ago

This in response to CPanther's posting regarding Kitchen Aid Mixers.

I worked for Norge in the early 60's, as a techy in the engineering lab, for two years. Norge appliances had a very good reputation for quality. The first year working there, the engineers would draw up some change and come waltzing into the lab crowing about saving a nickel or dime on a part. We would have the part made and install it on an existing washer or dryer or air conditioner. It would test OK. At the end of the model year, the new appliances were manufactured using all the changes. I spent the second year at Norge working at the end of the production line, trying to get the new models to even stand up under their own weight. Seems that when ALL the changes were applied, too much cheapening resulted. Some "quick fixes" were implemented, and the appliances were sent out to the marketplace. (Including Montgomery Ward, who dropped Norge that same year.)

If anyone wonders why the maker of those wonderful, high-quality Norge appliances no longer is in business, I assume it is because their products finally were revealed for what they had become.

My position: We cannot assume that because an appliance has been well-made in the past, that it will be so in the future. And the manufacturers surely are not going to tell us about the difference. We need to communicate, just like CPanther did in the previous message, about changes in quality as they become apparent.

Comments (7)