SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Need help dealing with mom's incontinence

shambo
17 years ago

I especially need ideas on how to travel "safely" with her in my car. She's 92 and was hospitalized late November with severly impacted bowels. Constipation has been an on-going problem for over two years. After a week in the hospital with lots of laxatives & manual extractions, she was too weak to go back to her assisted living apartment. So she spent another week in a skilled nursing facility just to get back her strength. The doctor prescribed daily doses of Dulcolax and Zelnorm. In the meantime, she developed a UTI and the antibiotic gave her diarrhea. That went away and she was finally doing OK. But about a month ago she really began losing complete bowel & bladder control.

Lately, every time I visit her, I end up cleaning up after a bowel movement accident. She says they mainly happen in the morning after breakfast. I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow morning to discuss possibly reducing her laxative medications and checking for infections, etc. Her birthday is Thursday, and I wanted to treat her to lunch. But now I'm concerned that eating out will trigger an episode before I can get her back to her apartment.

Although she tries to clean up as best as she can, her vision is poor, so she doesn't see the smears of feces on her clothing, sink, etc. She wears tie-on shoes, compression socks, elastic-waist pull-on pants and Depends. Her hands are arthritic, so it's hard for her to get her shoes & pants off. Smearing & splattering is almost inevitable.

Do you have any ideas on how I can protect my car from her accidents? And do you have any ideas on clothing or clothing aids that would make clean up easier for her? Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio