SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_pool_girl_nc

single mom pool build charlotte nc! desperately in need of help!

New_Pool_Girl_NC
12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and wish that I found it long before I began to even think about construction on my new pool. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 and we are all in now. I am not sure if everyone felt this way at some point during the process, but I am completely overwhelmed. This is my first pool in my first house, so I am very nervous about having a pool that is more safe and structurally sound than one that is aesthically appealing at this point, but looking at all of the beautiful pools here, I believe that I should get both.

Here is a little background. I interviewed several pool companies and was invited by various customer references to check out their pools. After seeing a couple of pools built by my pool company and speaking to several more references, I decided that my pool builder was the way to go.

Here are the specs for my pool (sorry if they are grouped kind of awkwardly - I'm just listing what's in the contract):

15' X 32' 3.5'-6' deep freeform pool

flagstone coping

6" waterline tile

400 sq ft of salted finished concrete decking

ivory quartz plaster

3 steps

1 bench

sunshelf with 8" of water, unbrella sleeve and 2 bubblers

spillover spa 7' raised 18" stackstone with 6 jets

2HP blower

1 spa light; 1 pool light

1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns

intermatic control system

1.5 HP Jandy pump

large Jandy Cartridge filter

Jandy Aqua-Pure Salt Chlorinator

400K BTU Natural Gas Heater

Aqua-Link PDA

Total - $47,500

These are the basic specs. Sorry, if there are no dimensions or other specific details listed above, it's because they are not included in the contract.

So the contract called for leaving all excess fill in my yard, which is not very big and has a slope. The plan was to use all of the excavated dirt to backfill the portion of my yard furthest from the house to make it level. After the first day of digging where we only got a third of the way through the excavation, I realized that the pool plan designed wasn't going to work. The dirt was piled up and somewhat compacted for about 2.5 feet and there was still more to go to bring it up to grade as well as more digging to do. That night I decided it would be best to leave the lower level low and leave the deck on the house side high and add a raised wall on the house side with stairs to the lower level.

I informed the pool builder of this and he said he could do it for an additional $3,900 because of the new requirement to haul away the excess dirt and the extra rebar and gunite, which I agreed to.

I understand construction has it's issues, but when I see some of the pool build processes here and look at mine, I am convinced that I have received the short end of the stick. For starters, the excavators removed landscaping from my slope that was never supposed to be touched. The excavation took a week. Please note that we did not hit rock or anything other than my sewer line which was re-routed less than a foot away from the outside of the pool shell and was repaired using rubber couplers and is still exposed and leaking.

They have left so much dirt piled in the only point of entry and exit to my pool area that the bobcat hit the side of my house and fortunately only crushed a gutter downspout (which has not yet been replaced).

Dirt has been piled on the side of my ac units and has sat for days and now the coils need an acid wash. They finally finished the excavation after a week and laid the rebar, which is sitting flat on the gravel. I'm no pool builder, but I've seen enough of your pools on this site to question this (based on what I've seen I think it's wrong, but please let me know if you disagree). My pool has been formed incorrectly as the left side of deck stairs have not been included so the raised wall goes all the way around the left side of the pool.

I have paid 40% of the contract price and we have not yet even pre-plumbed. Is there anything that I can do to assure that I will have a quality pool? I feel like I am between a rock and a hard place as I do not want to tick off my PB, but I feel like given the many hiccups that have not all been exclusively ordinary course of construction hiccups I have to say something.

I can provide more details and photos soon, but I wanted to get some views as to whether I was being too nervous and need to relax or have cause for real concern going forward.

Thanks so much!!

Comments (18)