SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanka_gw

Help!Bookcase question morphed into bigger concerns-PICS

susanka
16 years ago

Hi, everyone -- I asked about how to arrange my bookcase on the HD forum. People were very helpful, but in reading the answers I realized the bookcase problem is intimately connected to the window problem, which is: Our view windows are up too high. We're thinking we'd like to make them a foot longer vertically, if that's possible given the wind loads, or else just lower them. They're higher than the side and front windows now. But folks also said the cornice boxes and the tall bookcases make the side windows look too low (they are the same height now as the front windows.)

So here's our dilemma:

1. Should we make the back view windows longer, or just lower them?

2. How about that little side window? If we bring that up it will be higher than the other side window and front windows. We'd like to at least lengthen it to match the back view windows. It will be longer than the other side window then.

3. Can the cornice boxes stay (paid extra for them!)

4. Will boxing in the bookcases with a matching cornice dwarf the side windows?

4. Do we need an architect or a structural engineer to decide these design and structural questions? Which?

5. Anybody want to buy some cookies? We're over budget so far I think I need a second job. I make great almond sugars!

Thanks so much if any of you want to offer opinions. The thread on HD is "Your ideas about how to arrange this built-in bookcase, please?" It's on page 3 as I write this. Here are pix. The furniture is different now and so is the painting over the fireplace.

{{gwi:71256}}

{{gwi:23546}}

Comments (20)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!