SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonterrier00

I want Pretty Hair. . . .

bostonterrier00
17 years ago

I HAVE:

Very dark brown hair, I have natural red highlights in the summer. I got a spiral perm last May and my hair has grown a little since then. My curl has relaxed a little.

-When my hair is curly it is a little past shoulder length

-I have very fine strands of hair.

-My hair is not very thick.

-I blow dry it nearly every day and always end up putting it in a twist clip or pony tail.

I am at a dilema here! I have an oval shaped face, any styling ideas? I read about putting my hair up in rags over night to have cute curls, has anyone tried this does it work? I cannot keep volume, my hair goes FLAT. Does this sound hopeless?

I use

-Infusium 23 Shampoo - Conditioner

-Aussie - Hair Insurance

-Dove Hair Gel

-Herbal Essence Hairspray.

I WANT:

-Volume

-Defined Curls

HELP!

-BT00

Comments (8)

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

Do you use a diffuser when you blow dry your hair? That is KEY for curls. I never believed it. it really works not the little bag kind you stick on the end of a hairdryer either, the big plastic kind with knobs sticking up that you can scrunch your hair in.

Dove hair gel sounds heavy. I would NOT use gel if I was trying to keep my hair curly (which I am always trying to do)

I use TIGI Curls Rock curl booster and curls rock curl amplifierl It says to use the booster first but for me using it second works the best. I also use Work it hairspray. These products are kind of expensive, but they work really well. the best I have found over the years.

The right products make a HUGE difference.

Hope that helps....

• bostonterrier00
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked up a diffuser and it made my hair look so much more healthy when it was dry, no frizz. Thank You so much for your help.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

also, for more volume and less flat, don't use conditioner or gel too heavily, a little goes a long way. I learned that the hard way; I always had a heavy hand with products and realized I could have the benefits without too much of it since it does coat your hair.

• centralcacyclist
    17 years ago

My daughter has naturally wavy/curly hair and likes the following products for styling: Tresemme Curl Care Curl Enhancing Mousse Extra Hold, the Redken Fresh Curls products, and Ion Frizz Control leave in conditioner.

For shampooing because she has fine hair and wants volume, she likes Pantene Volume formula shampoo and conditioner. For maximum volume use conditioners sparingly.

• Boopadaboo
    17 years ago

I am so glad the diffuser helped BTOO!

• telly2
    17 years ago

This is what works best for me (although my hair is naturally wavy/curly, fine but thick): Wash hair only when absolutely necessary. After washing & LIGHT conditioning on ENDS ONLY, gently comb through to remove any tangles, let dry just slightly. Then gently gather all your hair on top of your head with a scrunchie. Just kind of wind it around on top (if it's long). I don't try to arrange mine at all, I just sort of wad it up (gently !) and wrap the scrunchie around the knot. Then I go to bed. When I get up in the morning, I undo the scrunchie and let the hair fall loose. It's usually still slightly damp just on top, but by the time I finish getting ready for work, it's completely dry.
    This method gives me the best curls, and because I pull it to the top of my head while wet, it boosts volume too.
    For curls without frizz, I think the key is to don't over-handle your hair: no excessive washing, keep hands off, and no blow drying at all if you can. Remember too that length adds weight, which pulls curls down. A fresh hair cut can really give you more/better curls !
    As far as the kind of cut to get, I posted here awhile back about the same thing, cause I can never seem to settle on a style that suits me. Didn't get too many replies, but I did find some advice at various websites. Do a search and see what you come up with........

• IdaClaire
    17 years ago

I have naturally wavy hair -- neither straight nor curly -- just sorta "in between", and sometimes it drives me nuts! For me, blow-drying is a great temptation. My hair looks terrific when it's just blown-dry into straightness, but inevitably during the day it starts to kink up again, and I do think that blow-drying can be extremely damaging to wavy and curly hair especially.

I can highly recommend the book, "Curly Girl" by Lorraine Massey. It's full of wisdom and good tips for healthier, prettier hair -- and has a lot to say about learning to live with one's hair, instead of trying to force it into being something it was never meant to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Curly Girl

• bostonterrier00
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone! I got a hair cut yesterday and the results are great, when I straighten my hair (naughty,naughty I know) It feels so much healthier and thicker, I also had my hairstylist put in layers. I love it! and since the extra weight is gone and the dead ends are gone my hair curls better. Thank you for the tip on the book I will check into that auntjen. So, between, hot oil treatments, less conditioner, a good haircut, layers, mousse not gel, and a hair diffuser my hair looks much better. Thanks again!!! -BT00

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington