SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edwena_gw

Tub/Shower Surround Questions

edwena
16 years ago

I started this bath remodel a year ago. My Mom broke her hip in Feb. 07'. She was hospitalized for several weeks and then she consented to live with me. It was my good fortune that she moved into my house for the rest of her life. I appreciate the time that we had.

Now I am working on the bathroom again and I have a couple of questions.

First Question:

The tub is installed and plumbed. It is a drop in cast iron tub without a flange. This is to be a tub/shower alcove. I have come up with what I think might work as "prep for tiling and tiling procedures".

Hope this inserted drawing is clear.

I thought of making a caulk tile flange. Seemed like the little valley between the wood framing and the outer round of the tub could be filled with caulk and the caulk extended up the wood framing pieces. This is the dark triangle like shape.

The studs have been notched 3/8" and the tub inserted into that space. The tub is very secure. It isn't going to move any except possibly expansion and contraction.

Should I make this little caulk flange and if so, what would be the best caulk to use?

I am using Kerdy to waterproof. My tiles are 1/4" wide 3 x 6 subways. If I come straight down from the Durock, there would be at best only 1/4" of Kerdy attached to the top of the tub. (Attached with Kerdy-Fix.) This doesn't seem like a wide enough attachment. So I thought that if I pushed the Kerdy back toward the wall under the Durock, (make a little u) that would increase the attachment width from 1/4" to maybe 9/16". To me that seems better.

The Kerdy would not go back as far as the caulk. So Kerdy would be attached to enamel tub, not to caulk.

Then if necessary, I would put a backer rod into the little Kerdy U and caulk between the first row of tiles and the enamel tub.

How does all this sound?

Second Question:

The tub surround doesn't go to the ceiling. So there is installed drywall down to the open studs where I will attach the Durock. One to two rows of tile will go above the Durock. I didn't get to my finishing guy in time to ask him not to mud the joints within about 6 inches of the eventual drywall/durock seam. Most of the drywall mud has latex primer and latex paint on it. He primes all of his work before he leaves. Do I need to take all of the mud off and then have the little bit of joint redone after the tile is up? The next post will have a couple of pictures of the areas that concern me the most.

Thanks for the advice.

Edwena

Comments (2)