SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ambiguator

Feedback on my new bathroom layout

11 years ago

Hi all:
Long time reader, first time poster.

I'm planning a bathroom renovation, and I thought I'd solicit some feedback from y'all. Please don't hold back - constructive criticism, rants, new ideas. Let me know your thoughts about the plan for this layout.

Here are the constraints i'm working within:
1. I'd like to avoid moving the plumbing stack. The stack runs horizontally, approximately where the toilet has been placed.
2. The dimensions are fixed -- ie. I won't be *moving* any walls.
3. The bathroom entry should stay on the same wall, but i'm open to different placement.
4. I don't want a tub. (I have one in my other bathroom).

OK, thanks in advance folks.
/a

Comments (5)

• 11 years ago

Put the vanity right against the corner to move it away from the shower entry point.

• 11 years ago

Someone suggested that the vanity should have a little space on either side of it, and be centered along the wall. I don't have a strong preference...

I also considered extending the countertop of the vanity all the way from the wall to the shower door. I've seen that look pretty cool in the past.

What's a reasonable size for the shower entry?

• 11 years ago

Turn the vanity 90 degrees, so it's opposite the shower.

• 11 years ago

I agree, vanity on wall opposite wall from shower.

Just a question, is this a common bathroom for bedrooms, ie- not the master bath. Is there another common bathroom with a tub?

As a realtor, I have seen instances of shower only and no bathtub be the deal breaker for someone buying. People with kids need/want a bathtub in the common bathroom. This may not apply to your situation and if it doesn't then disregard but thought I would mention it as I have seen some beautifully redone bathrooms where no tub became the major factor of why no was making offers.

• 11 years ago

Thanks for the great feedback so far.
    Not sure why i didn't consider turning the vanity 90 degrees before, but that sounds like a good idea as long as i can finagle the plumbing into place. Hopefully it's not too big a span, given the current location of the stack.

Yes, there is another, smaller bathroom with a tub. Resale value is somewhat important, but not at the top of my list. This is, hopefully, my forever house, so my top priority is a comfortable and functional bathroom for my own personal use. And personally, I've never taken a bath since I've lived in this house.