SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
911gt2_gw

Island Downdraft Dilemma

911gt2
12 years ago

OK, I have thoroughly researched this forum regarding, cooktops, downdrafts, hoods etc and the information was nothing short of astounding. Now for my dilemma. I have and island with a 36 GE gas drop in and a Thermador downdraft unit that is about 20 years old with maybe 400 CFM and honeslty never use it cause its worthless (kind of works I guess but you get the idea). I am wanting to replace with a Wolf 36 Gas cooktop along with 42 inch Wolf hood with 600 CFM but the cost to do so is about 2000+/- than going with a newer downdraft (perferably the Thermador since its 14 inches tall. So the questions is since my ceiling is 10 feet tall and I'm over 6 feet tall so the hood would ideally by installed 42 inches from the cooktop and since the ideal height from the cooktop is recommended to be 24-36 inches would I get the same performance if I saved the $2000 and went with the Thermador downdraft and used my existing ventilation to the outside (the duct work is about 8 feet or so). Also would the Thermador downdraft look good with the Wolf gas cooktop and I am not opposed to getting a Thermador gas cooktop.

If anyone has any insight please feel free to share of if there are any other recommendations I am not set on this scenario.

Thanks and if I missed any needed information please let me know.

Comments (8)