SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merristone

Island cooktop and downdraft dilemma

merristone
15 years ago

We currently have a disfunctional Jenn-Air with downdraft. We need to upgrade so we can get burners with both higher and lower BTU. Our townhouse is on a slab; our kitchen is on the first floor, with the vent running below the slab. We have 13 foot ceilings with a pot rack over the island. We don't want to spend the money for a hood, since it would require new venting, etc.

I like the arrangement of the GE Monogram 6-burner unit (17000 BTU and 140 degree simmer). GE doesn't seem to sell a downdraft compatible with that unit. They say you need a minimum 600 CFM hood. My question is, could I get away with a 600 CFM downdraft instead. I know it wouldn't be perfect but I wouldn't be grilling or doing deep fat frying. After 9 years the only place I notice buildup is on the pot rack, which I can clean. Cooking odors do make it up to the 3rd floor, but we've lived with the 375 (?) CFM of the JennAir for so many years I feel like the elevated downdraft unit must be better than that.

We live in Houston. Does anyone know if local code requires something different? I'm not sure we have the space to mount a wall unit for an external blower, although we do have wide enough duct work (8 inches).

Any helpful comments would be appreciated!

Comments (12)