SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sowmya_swaminathan52

cooktop in center island dilemma

Hi.

Need some help with cooktop placement in a kitchen remodel. Recently bought a 30 yr old, single story house in need of remodel before we move in. for the kitchen remodel , we need to change flooring, reconfigure some cabinets, change countertops, open up a wall to living room. Basically I am tearing up a lot of things. The previous owners had a electric cooktop with a telescoping downdraft vented to outside through the floor. The sink is against the wall behind the cooktop. There are no exterior walls in the kitchen. Above is attic and shingle roof. I have never lived in a house with a cooktop in the center island. In my current home, I have a gas cooktop with a vent hood to the outside. I cook a lot, daily. It is heavy duty Indian cooking, sautéing, cooktop pressure cooker - you name it.

I have been reading a lot about cooktops with telescoping downdrafts in the center island and it has me worried.

I am concerned about safety with cooktop in island and two young Kids. The island will only be for prep and cooktop though. The wall I am breaking open will become another island with eating in overhang. So kids should generally not come to the cooktop area.

I am also concerned about lingering smells and messes from splattering. I am wondering if these downdraft cooktops are even halfway decent or if I should just move the cooktop to the wall , install a vent hood and push out through the roof. Or should I ignore / remove the downdraft and instead get a venthood over the center island and go through the roof? The cost and complicated changes give me pause. Has anyone undertaken such a project? What did it involve? Do they like the change ?

Comments (17)