SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriaelizabeth_gw

Help?? Antique Asian doll / Large porcelain statue of child.

VictoriaElizabeth
11 years ago

I've used the Bath forum extensively, but this is my first post to the Antiques forum.

I got this doll... it is a vintage reproduction of an antique. I actually got three of them, (Pictures and more details are here.) And they are wonderful. The backs are just as detailed as the front, with a bow and flowers.

I got them from an antique dealer. They are vintage reproductions of an original doll, which I've seen, and they're identical. Dealer is uncertain about the origin of the original doll. There are no stamps or identifying marks on original. I thought for sure I could find information online, but I'm not finding anything!

Searching for "Asian doll" gives you about a million options... I've seen one similar (but not identical) on ebay, but the seller had no information about the origin. I think her doll must have been a reproduction, since the antique dealer I got mine from remembers the reproductions being slightly different than his original, with a darker paint job made to look weathered... If this is confusing, I apologize, IâÂÂm trying to keep my question succinct.

I'm looking for information about what kinds of specific words you would use to describe this. It's hard to google something that you don't have the right terminology for. I've been referring to them as chalkware, but I'm not even sure that's accurate.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Victoria

Here is a link that might be useful: The Whole Doll Story

Comments (6)