SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

What was on your parents' coffee table?

leafy02
11 years ago

I was poking around on Pinterest hoping to spot a coffee table I might like for my living room. I was surprised at how many of the pins that came up referred to 'styling' the coffee table.

Of course, if I ever do find a table you can bet that I am going to 'style' it--at least to the degree that life with a 3rd grader and a pesky cat allows, but I couldn't help but think about how much more emphasis there seems to be on this now than when I first started paying attention to decor.

When I was a kid, we had a coffee table in the living room. It had a silver cigarette lighter on it, and a silver-rimmed crystal ashtray, nothing else. The family room also had a coffee table, which had exactly nothing on it, except maybe at Christmas time when there would be a large candle smack dab in the middle. There was plenty of ornamental stuff in our house--including the kind of books we now call 'coffee table books', but none of it was displayed on the coffee table.

My inlaws' house has been unchanged since 1972. Their coffee table sports a gold statue of praying hands, and that is all.

So now I'm wondering, when did the styled coffee tables become commonplace? And what was on your parents' coffee table?

Comments (44)