SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Bad shower tile mistakes... Should I make them fix?

oakrunfarm
16 years ago

Somehow, the company that installed the tile in my bathrooms managed to make rather serious errors in all three of the showers...

Problem one - Three niches put on the wrong wall.

1. Master bath was to have niches flanking the shower hardware - They put one in the right place, and the other opposite it on the focal wall

2. Other two baths were to have the niche on the wall opposite from the shower hardware - They put them both on the focal walls

Problem two - Messed up tile design (not as laid out by designer). I custom ordered tile from Mexico for it.

My concerns are:

I am worried that this would result in compromising the integrity of the waterproofing in the walls by perforating the membrane that lines the shower walls in order to relocate the niches.

Realizing that the tile company still has further work to do for us, I would have a concern that they would add the cost for doing what should have been done properly in the first place into their remaining items awaiting completion.

I feel strongly that we should not bear any material or labor cost for their mistakes - especially given the charges we have thus far incurred from them. (Very high fees - even per the builder.)

The designer that I worked with where I bought the tile faxed the installers instructions on where the niches were to be located along with the tile designs. She also faxed them to the builder.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Comments (7)