SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim_manley_jr

fixed frame vinyl for shower stall; prudent choice or mistake?

tim_manley_jr
8 years ago

TLDR: see bold

proposed shower stall will replace old tub shower stall with an existing single pane aluminum framed window with wavy privacy glass. rough opening is 48 wide by 36 tall at 60" from the finished floor.

im proposing to use the window sill as storage(as was the case previously) for things like shampoo... soaps etc. This would be in addition to a niche on one of the interior walls.

first question:

is that in bad taste? storing junk on a window sill? i thought about buying some pvc/ABS plantation shutters to fill in the window cavity and for privacy... but IDK because it would exclude its use as storage.

planning to tile and aggressively water proof the window sill, sloping it 5-10% and treating with kerdi or liquid applied membrane.

my main concern is water proofing this window. Ive never built a shower before and i am concerned that a horizontal or vertical slider would accumulate water from condensation and or splashing. yes i am aware windows have weep holes and all that... but this window is ONLY 60" from the floor. its a brick veneer home and i dont have anywhere near enough spare bricks to raise the window up.

second question:

am i being stupid worrying about water infiltrating into a vinyl window?

third question:

assuming a fixed window is chosen... is there any particular reason to go with an expensive brand like marvin? let me just say that this house does not warrant thousand dollar windows. however i do not want builders grade.

i made the mistake of ordering several pella windows through lowes some time back... while i was NOT unhappy with them once installed, i found them to be cheap feeling and the 60x60 windows to be quite flexible and difficult to shim properly.

biggest gripe was the flimsy trim material connecting glass panel to the vinyl stiles.

thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments (7)